Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thermal Drones

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Crazy. So you gotta wait at your truck until legal hunting hours in the morning and be back before its over.
No idea how it is in PA. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the laws changed with the rise in popularity of using drones to recover deer. Additionally, it seems like different wildlife officers could have different interpretation of "Grey areas". That's why I got my stuff in writing.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This is absolutely the case. In PA anything related to hunting is considered hunting so therefore it is technically illegal to track after dark. Now tracking after dark they usually don't enforce unless they want to.

Here is the definition of hunting.

Hunt" or "hunting." Any act or furtherance of the taking or killing of any game or wildlife, or any part or product thereof, and includes, but is not limited to, chasing, tracking, calling, pursuing, lying in wait, trapping, shooting at, including shooting at a game or wildlife facsimile, or wounding with any weapon or implement, or using any personal property, including dogs, or the property of others, of any nature, in furtherance of any of these purposes, or aiding, abetting or conspiring with another person in that purpose.

Thanks. Yep, right there in black and white. Not even gray.

Sure set him up for it. Exactly the reason I was saying before the drone guys need to get together and support each other. Get some sort of organization going or something to get the word out to the powers-that-be before it all goes away because of the fear of abuse and enforcing gray area laws.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I was nervous about using a spotlight at night to positively identify a deer. Our WO told me I had nothing to worry about. Still, in Ohio, it seems wrong to light up a deer. Technically, you’re not even supposed to shine your headlights on them. There are a lot of gray areas when it comes to recovery with drones.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Right or wrong, that guy built a following through click-bait tactics and he LOVES the spot. There's a part of me that thinks he got what he had coming by being "the face of the franchise". He definitely got set up, but he loves the attention and this will probably be good for business when it's all said and done with.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Right or wrong, that guy built a following through click-bait tactics and he LOVES the spot. There's a part of me that thinks he got what he had coming by being "the face of the franchise". He definitely got set up, but he loves the attention and this will probably be good for business when it's all said and done with.
I think you may be talking about Amish Mike.