Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thinking inside the box

Last night I was ask to handle some coon in a guys atic
That were climbing the downspout and had wripped part of the sofit off to gain acess to the atic

Normaly I use a box trap around houses

But the atic opening is small and I didn't feel like hauling a trap up past the kids
Worse hauling it down with a coon in it past the kids

So I went to plan B

This set is for places no kids or non target anaimals can get to
I have some large conibears that are normaly used to trap beaver 330's I believe

To make the set easy , I use a card board box just larger than the trap
I believe the traps are 8x8 or 9x9
But I like a box like 10x10 by 18" long
Tape the box closed
Then cut both ends out almost completely
But leave a 1" lip all the way around to strengthen the box so it will not collapse

Make a horizonal slit 6" long on both sides
About in the middle of the box , to to bottom and front to back
This is to hold the trap upright and allow the trap to open

Stick a 1/2 apple onto the trigger wires
Now set the trap HOOK THE SAFTY CATCH's !!

Now insert the springs through the slits in the sides of the box
And center the trap in the box

Depending on the trap
Manytimes I have to make a notch in the box for the lower wire of each spring
So the trap will set upright properly

I like the trigger to be on the bottom for this , but not setting on the bottom of the box
As I have had the apple fall off if the trigger is on the top

Move the trap and box to the location , I like to place the trap on a flat spot
I always wire the chain to something , but have never had a coon not die quickly enough to not need it

Take the safty catchs off

The box is there to not only hold the trap
But to stop the coon from going after the apple from the side or top

Normaly I have to cut the box apart a little to reset the trap and remove the dead coon
But duct tape will hold the box togeather for 2 coon normaly

I had 2 boxs in their atic last night
This evening I found a coon had tryed to get the apple in 1 trap
A huge female coon
Had to trash the box to get her out
But I had a extra box with me and left both traps set to see if any more coon are around

The nice thing about this set , I can put the coon in a garbage bag to haul it out
Without the kids seeing anything

John

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Very cool.

Is this setup the same as a bucket set ? I seen them do kind of the same using some 220's and a bucket with slots cut in the side of the bucket for the trap.

[video=youtube;2Qbg2trpa-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qbg2trpa-I[/video]

[video=youtube;GV8gIsb8enc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV8gIsb8enc&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
Same basic set
I just use a card board box , as I can fold it flat for easyer acess to a atic or crawl space
5 gallon buckets work great though if the set is expose to the weather

Also I never had a cheap source for square buckets

John

i can get you all the square 3 gallon buckets you want , with lids, my mother inlaw works in the pittsburgh walmart bakery , i have a endless supply of em , they just throw em out

Thanks for the offer
But I live just outside Toledo
To far away for a quick pick up drive

But There is a Wally World not far away
I will ask if they can give me a few

John

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
Too bad you fella don't live closer. I could get you all the 5gal buckets you need from work. I have around 20 or so at the house right now all with lids and I will never use them all.

Did you happen to find any buckets John ?

know anybody that has cats ? You could use some of the litter buckets as well.

I got 8 so far
Enough for my uses right now and more if I need them

Just had to ask the right person

They couldn't give them to me
But they told me when they would be put out for trash
And they just happened to be sitting next to the dumpster , not in it

John

Last edited:

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I got 8 so far
Enough for my uses right now and more if I need them

Just had to ask the right person

They couldn't give them to me
But they told me when they would be put out for trash
And they just happened to be sitting next to the dumpster , not in it

John

That's awesome right there. I like it :D

Redvette

NW Ohio
Very cool.

Is this setup the same as a bucket set ? I seen them do kind of the same using some 220's and a bucket with slots cut in the side of the bucket for the trap.

[video=youtube;2Qbg2trpa-I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qbg2trpa-I[/video]

[video=youtube;GV8gIsb8enc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV8gIsb8enc&feature=related[/video]

Keep in mind that unless this baby with a #220 is set in water you're illegal in Ohio and subject to a fine based on body-grip jaw spread...

Redvette

NW Ohio
Redcloud wondered what happened to you. I asked a question about what had happened to jackalope on "another site" and a member PM'd me about this site. We never did bust any coyotes together..I went back to work last march and had little time and only called 3 times. Great to find you also redcloud!!!!!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Redcloud wondered what happened to you. I asked a question about what had happened to jackalope on "another site" and a member PM'd me about this site. We never did bust any coyotes together..I went back to work last march and had little time and only called 3 times. Great to find you also redcloud!!!!!

I bet the thread you started that was asking questions got locked pretty quick didn't it lol. Glad to hear you got back to work. The yote can wait till another time buddy :D.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I bet the thread you started that was asking questions got locked pretty quick didn't it lol. Glad to hear you got back to work. The yote can wait till another time buddy :D.

Locked, Printed out, deleted, torn into little pieces, burned, ashes ground, mailed to the four corners of the earth, Taken deep in a mine, spread, and the mine blasted closed. lol...

Welcome Redvette. Nice to see you bud. :)

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Locked, Printed out, deleted, torn into little pieces, burned, ashes ground, mailed to the four corners of the earth, Taken deep in a mine, spread, and the mine blasted closed. lol...

Welcome Redvette. Nice to see you bud. :)

Actually they left the post RV was talking about. The thread was about SB 5 and Steve closed it ...yup you guessed it...a mod was pushing buttons again and was starting to get a little heated lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Actually they left the post RV was talking about. The thread was about SB 5 and Steve closed it ...yup you guessed it...a mod was pushing buttons again and was starting to get a little heated lol.

Well.. I was pushing some buttons in our SB5 thread also...:tantrum:

But the difference is, someone could have told me to fuck off and i wouldn't ban them. We all have opinions, doesn't mean either one of us is wrong. Just different philosophies. Discussion, debate, and arguing is healthy. Keeps the mind sharp. :)