Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time for a new laptop

Jamie

Ohio
I am not a computer person. I really do not want to be one either, but it is now impossible to function in business or most anything else today without a reliable computer. I have a Toshiba Satellite that I bought in 2011 which really has served me well. I paid nearly $1000 for it 13 years ago, replaced the hard drive last summer which improved function a little bit. Now it does not want to boot up when I have turned it off. I have resolved to leave it on all the time. It will not connect to my wifi network, so I have to use an ethernet cable which is fine since it has only left my office desk about 5 times since I bought it. Still, it is slow, getting slower, annoying the fuck out of me, and surely dying. I concede.

I want speed, memory, a large high-resolution screen, maybe even a touch screen. I do not play games ever and do little more than some office work, photo editing, and browsing. I don't want it to be obsolete when the next version of Windows comes out. I'm ok spending $2K or more, perhaps. I'd welcome any opinions from all of you computer gurus and geeks on brands and options that would meet my needs.

Reactions: 5Cent

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I were you, I would buy a laptop plus a docking station. The docking station can have 2-3 monitors plugged into it. It basically allows your laptop to function as a “desktop” at the home office, but gives you the ability to unplug one cord and take the laptop into the field when needed. It’s the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Here’s my setup. Dell Latitude 5530 laptop, Dell docking station, and two 24” HD monitors. 12th Gen Intel Core i5 1.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM.

IMG_1431.jpeg

IMG_1432.jpeg

IMG_1433.jpeg

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I wish i could help but most of this is out of my league even though I'm younger. My last laptop was also a Toshiba satellite from 2010 I haven't had one since. The only tid bit I can give is it doesn't take thousands anymore to have a good laptop. The small hp my wife bought for 350 on black Friday blows my old Toshiba out of the water it's insane the features they pack into them today on the cheap. I'm sure someone with experience will be along shortly to recommend a brand an model . If not use your best Google fu and look at all the reviews you can on the few you narrow it down to. Best of luck brother

Reactions: Isaacorps and Jamie

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
I used to be only pc, but got a MacBook almost 8 years ago, never have had one issue with it. It has never crashed, locked up, nothing. I went back to work last summer for the engineer I used to work for, he got me a brand new Dell laptop, it is used primarily to run AutoCAD Civil 3D. Well windows locks up at least once a month.

Now saying all that I can tell iOS is way more stable.