Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Time for canning.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
My wife made some last year and it was horrible! Turned out sweet. Ended up throwing it away. If you have a recipe, please share.
I have never made it but can tell you that bavarian-style Kraut is nasty sweet

Buckmaster

Portage
One crock, shredded cabbage, and 2 teaspoon of sea salt per pound of cabbage.
Pack and layer cabbage with salt in between layers.
Cover cabbage with a garbage bag filled with 2 gallons of water (for the airtight seal) and wait 6 weeks.
Skim off top rot and eat/can.

It sounds gross but it doesn't get any better than homemade kraut. It's good for your stomach...kind of like yogurt is.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One crock, shredded cabbage, and 2 teaspoon of sea salt per pound of cabbage.
Pack and layer cabbage with salt in between layers.
Cover cabbage with a garbage bag filled with 2 gallons of water (for the airtight seal) and wait 6 weeks.
Skim off top rot and eat/can.

It sounds gross but it doesn't get any better than homemade kraut. It's good for your stomach...kind of like yogurt is.

The smell of kraut when I was a kid would draw an automatic dry heave.... Now I love to eat it lol...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Oh yeah...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Butchered my buck today. My first batch of canned chunks. Just added a touch of water and a bullion cube. My second batch is finishing up soon. Does anybody do any special seasonings like a cajun or anything different that they would like to share, as I plan on doing some more in a couple weeks after Christmas

Jamie

Ohio
I highly recommend using "Better than Boullion" beef base instead of cubes. much better flavor, and since it is a paste you can actually measure it out. I use it canning both venison shanks and squirrel. 1/2tsp per pint, 1tsp per quart instead of salt. I never add anything else to the jars. I've tried adding garlic, onion, barbeque sauces and other concoctions, but it never once turned out like I imagined. meat and broth in a jar is a blank canvas. open jar and get creative.