Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tips for Newbies

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Ok.....If everything works out I will be taking up turkey hunting this spring. Now I am completely oblivious to.this sport.....so I am asking you guys for advice......how to.scout .....what habitat to look for ......hunting techniques .....types of.calls....you guys get the point.

Thanks for any information would be appreciated

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
Get a decent set of decoys consisting of 2 hens and a Jake for starters......some guys opt for a tom decoy with a couple hens, but sometimes toms that aren't dominant will shy away from a mature tom decoy, where he will almost always think he can kick a jake's ass.

Don't go overboard on calls to start out with, get something relatively simple to use such as a box call and a push button type call. Primos makes some good ones and there are a lot of other brands out there that work good also. Practice with them before the season comes in. Those are the type of calls I have used for 20 years with the most results. Some guys will also use slate calls and mouth calls, but there is a larger learning curve with those IMO.

As far as scouting goes you can look for scratching in the woods, but the best way to locate birds is to physically see them somewhere close to season or during season. Turks move around quite a bit in the spring, breaking up from winter flocks....where you see them now is probably not where they will be the 3rd week of April.

If you have a blind don't be afraid to use it during turkey season....Turkeys don't associate a blind with danger like deer do. I have had birds almost join me in the blind and seem clueless to what a blind is, even after it was set up just the day before.

Use plenty of gun when shooting turks and don't scrimp on good ammo. Buy the best shooting ammo you can afford, because you will only get a couple shots per season and a box of shells should last several seasons.

If I can think of some other things I will let you know.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
All great tips posted there by, Gern. I think he pretty much covered the basics. If you have some trailcams, using them for scouting turks work just well as they do for deer... best part is you don't have to worry about scent control now, though. Seeing them with your own eyes is the best way to scout, but if you live far from your hunting property like I do, the trailcam is the next best thing IMO.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try this season for the first time too. I've got the private land turkey permit in Michigan, so I'll try to hunt my parents farm and then I have some land in Ohio. He says there are turkeys everywhere. I think I have everything except the decoys.

What brand of decoys are recommended?

Huckleberry Finn

Mike, I don't think that turkeys look at the tag on the decoys. Wingsupply.com has some cheaper foam ones for sale. You're suppose to shoot 'em before they get too close to the decoys. I have found that two hens and a jake is just about the best way to go, though I'd be interested in trying one of those b-mobile tom's with the feathers that stick up...good way to get shot by someone else too prolly

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have used those foldup foam decoys for years and they have worked quite well.....you just have to fluff them up after they have been rolled up in your backpack for a year to get them back into shape.

I bought a montana decoy (tom) at the D&T expo 3 years ago and I am impressed with the results it provides also. It is very realistic looking, although it is 2 dimensional. The setup time on it is very quick and it will bring a dominant bird right into your lap. They cost a little bit more money, but they are worth it. They fold up into a very small package and weigh almost nothing.

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
These guys pretty much summed it up, one tip i'll give you is to keep at it. Turkeys seem to act wierd as hell sometimes, you just gotta get em to break and come in. And make sure you're facing the right way so they wont come in to ur left and make you try to swing so they see you. :smiley_blackeye:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
My decoys came in yesterday. For under $5 bucks a piece, I bought two set ups.:smiley_clap:
HPIM2117[1].jpg