Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tips, tricks, practice, must buys, etc...

JPN

coshocton
I'm right there with you guys. I need some more decoys, a blind for my dog and planning on getting a new gun before season. Just got my new camo in the mail today.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I don't have goose floaters, a layout, or a dog blind. To make matters worse, I am looking at Bandeds new two man layout blind. Not sure if I'll go that route or not, but it is very tempting as I know my wife wants to join me and I have plenty of buddies to take along. Seems like a good investment, but at $400+ bones, it is a steep price to pay.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Check out the kill zone lay n slay blind . Same profile as a finisher but cheaper . They were 100 bucks not long ago .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
$130 with my Amazon Prime. Seems like a decent blind and I won't be using them more than a few times each season. I'll have to consider a couple of these. The big draw back seems to be the lack of camo and time needed to brush it in...

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Only flaw is the headrest mounts are supposed to be tacked on weak. We added some beefier tack welds to ours . For 100 bucks I don't think u can go wrong .

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Nice dude. If you are willing to sign off on them, that's good enough for me...

Don't be afraid to invest in a nice big pillow from Wal-Mart also to keep behind your chair. I keep my pillow in the plastic behind my chair year round and even during transport! I know.... im a :smiley_baby: but I like to be comfortable.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'm in. Thanks for the input Jake!

And I hear ya Zach! I injured my tail bone in HS and have a bad lower back, so I have to be comfortable. That sounds like a great idea!

Derek j

Knox Co.
best thing to do for a new layout blind.....as soon as you take it out of the package and set it up. smear mud all over it and let it dry. Then just brush off the excess. This takes the sheen off the material. remarkably, the birds can pick out that sheen even if the blind is grassed in well. For having brains the size of peas, they sure are smart buggers!

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Yep , mudding a blind is mandatory. You can also use flat paint and spray the material to knock the shine down .

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
best thing to do for a new layout blind.....as soon as you take it out of the package and set it up. smear mud all over it and let it dry. Then just brush off the excess. This takes the sheen off the material. remarkably, the birds can pick out that sheen even if the blind is grassed in well. For having brains the size of peas, they sure are smart buggers!

Yep , mudding a blind is mandatory. You can also use flat paint and spray the material to knock the shine down .

This^^^.

I've done the spray paint mist and it works, but I still prefer fresh mud. Any layout blind I buy from here on out will ALWAYS be khaki or flat brown. Camo pattern on a layout blind is so pointless.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

Yep. Gotta mud it in, and you should keep at it over the seasons.

Any layout blind I buy from here on out will ALWAYS be khaki or flat brown. Camo pattern on a layout blind is so pointless.

I've got one of each, and my thought after hunting out of both is that field khaki is probably the way to go. If you're brushing the blinds in like you should, the whole exterior is going to be covered with stubble, grass, or what ever you're hunting in. I get anal about brushing in. I want every brush loop stuffed with something. The door and foot area get attention throughout the hunt since those tend to lose stubble from movement. Your blind needs to blend in, period. You can't get a camo blind, throw in a few corn stalks, and think that's good enough. It should be like a natural ghillie suit.

The only exception to this is when we're hunting with snow covers on. Then the amount of stubble is determined by the natural amount showing in the snow. If the field is completely covered in snow, then the snow covers are all you need. Just dig out a hole, put the blind down in it, and mound the snow back up around it. If there is snow, but you can still see the stalks, then the blind gets brushed in with a few stalks to look as natural as possible.

Last edited:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Green fields can be tough . Best bet it try and find a clump of grass taller than the mowed stuff , setup against roundbail, buy Avery killerweed in green , or grass up the blind with taller stuff from the edges .

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Yep, hay fields or picked wheat fields turning green are a bitch for making a good hide. Jake and Milo nailed it. Thankfully, it seems like hunting in green fields is a rarity... at least for me. And when I do, there almost always seems to be some taller green veg somewhere nearby that I can use.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I swear I've seen battery operated jerk rig pullers, but haven't been able to find one. I'd like to build my own if possible. You guys ever see such a thing?