Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tn Wildlife law Enforcement "Warrantless Search" Ruling

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not sure if you guys have been keeping an eye on this but it's huge. A three judge court in Tennessee ruled unanimously that Tennessee wildlife officers need a warrant to enter most private property in the state. This stemming from a lawsuit against their department of wildlife filed by a hunter where wildlife officers were sneaking on his property, installing trail cameras, watching him through binoculars and harassing him while hunting. He took one of the "trespassers" camera and they charged him with theft.

For a long time wildlife officers have relied on the supreme court ruling called the "open lands doctrine" which ruled that a persons right against illegal search doesn't apply to lands that are "Wild or waste lands" The three judge panel concluded that the open lands doctrine does not apply to property that is in active use, such as for hunting, fishing, farming, camping and land that is posted and gated. These properties are not considered "wild or waste land" When considering uses of real property other than as a home, there is nothing in the Tennessee Constitution that suggests a lesser regard for uses of property more common in rural areas than those more typical of urban or suburban areas.

The judge went on to say.

The TWRA searches, which it claims are reasonable, bear a marked resemblance to the arbitrary discretionary entries of customs officials more than two centuries ago in colonial Boston,” “The TWRA’s contention is a disturbing assertion of power on behalf of the government that stands contrary to the foundations of the search protections against arbitrary governmental intrusions in the American legal tradition, generally, and in Tennessee, specifically.

TWRA has since decided not to appeal the ruling after consulting with the state Attorney general meaning the ruling is affirmed.

Jamie

Ohio
I wonder if law enforcement (of any kind) observing my property from a drone without my permission could be construed as a warrantless search? Would a neighbor observing my property from a drone without my permission be considered trespassing?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wonder if law enforcement (of any kind) observing my property from a drone without my permission could be construed as a warrantless search? Would a neighbor observing my property from a drone without my permission be considered trespassing?
The problem is we don’t own the airspace. So is there a line that needs drawn, or rather, an elevation? If a drone flying 30 ft above your backyard is trespassing, is a commercial jet passing over at 3,000 ft trespassing?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No. At least not yet. IMO, air related laws will need to catch up with drone use. As of now, you do not own the air above your ground.

Reactions: Jamie

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We’ve had reports of kids spying on people with drones. Police/Sheriffs are called, nothing they can do according to them. One lady said they were hovering around their windows looking in.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
This also opens up a whole other can of worms with relation to search. For example will it also apply to live wells and ice chests in a boat? If you didn't have fishing poles or implements in a boat then a wildlife officer wasn't legally allowed to inspect holds. They can ask, and usually do so in a ask permission kind of way where you give up your right unknkwingly. "Do you mind opening that cooler?" or "Can we look in your cooler." And not as a directive "Open that cooler"

If there was fishing gear then they were allowed to inspect them as they had probable cause to believe you were fishing and had fish. Same for property, if you are hunting then they had reasonable cause to enter the property and check you. Now in Tn that's been turned on its ear. Nolonger is participating in an act or even having a license probable cause enough for search and siezure. The same as driving and an officer sees you, it's not probable cause enough to stop you and check your license. Nor is it probable cause to search your vehicle and center console simply for driving. How about game vests and buckets? This goes way way deeper than just private property.