Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

To build a house or buy one. Pros and cons?

Bigcountry40

Sorry but this is an asshat racist comment if there ever was one. I am from the south, built my own house and lots of the workers that worked on my house were Hispanic. Some spoke English some didn't, but their work was top notch, and they work circles around most of the white guys on the job. I also helped a young man learn how to do building, he helped with the electrical, finish work, whatever, so to label non English speaking people as hacks is offensive to me. Sorry not sorry.
Never said anything racist has I have worked with people on construction sites with different races, ethnicity, religions, etc etc. what meant is if I were building a home making a 400000 investment, I would want to be able to communicate directly with every single person working on my property and want everyone licensed/qualified to do the job, There is obvious safety and structure concerns with people who can not communicate directly, I have enough issues when communicating with people who speak perfectly good English. I would also point out this is a brotherhood on this site and there is certain amount of freedom we enjoy I’ve removed my comment as I can see how it could be taken the wrong way, but if anyone wants a deeper explanation p.m me, I am happy to explain. If anyone has a personal issue with me and feels the need to call me ass hat or anything please pm me. On one occcasion I did lash out at a member over my profession and immediately apologized to that person. Several of you on the site I have never met, meaning I have no idea what kind personality you have, type of person you are, etc. Apologize for highjacking this thread, I’m done commenting for a while

Last edited:

Bowkills

Nw oh
Id only go with a builder and subs with the company owner or family members actually working with their hands or have done so many years. When their name is on the end result they dont want call backs or word to spread of fd up work in most cases. The big companies want a check and to get past the one year warranty mark. go to the lumber yards and ask who is the best? Shitty cheap construction is growing at a rapid rate....good luck x2 with the fuck shower.

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Never said anything racist has I have worked with people on construction sites with different races, ethnicity, religions, etc etc. what meant is if I were building a home making a 400000 investment, I would want to be able to communicate directly with every single person working on my property and want everyone licensed/qualified to do the job, There is obvious safety and structure concerns with people who can not communicate directly, I have enough issues when communicating with people who speak perfectly good English. I would also point out this is a brotherhood on this site and there is certain amount of freedom we enjoy I’ve removed my comment as I can see how it could be taken the wrong way, but if anyone wants a deeper explanation p.m me, I am happy to explain. If anyone has a personal issue with me and feels the need to call me ass hat or anything please pm me. On one occcasion I did lash out at a member over my profession and immediately apologized to that person. Several of you on the site I have never met, meaning I have no idea what kind personality you have, type of person you are, etc. Apologize for highjacking this thread, I’m done commenting for a while
I over reacted with my comment, but it hit me wrong and I hear those comments all the time. I appreciate your response.

Reactions: giles