Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Shoulda planted rice today instead of corn.......why I atta....

20220521_205110.jpg

20220521_205033.jpg

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
We've had multiple flash flood warnings from all the heavy rains since the garden was planted, but everything is coming along quite nicely. Tomatoes and peppers are starting to pop. Everything else around here is also taking off, including the few additional trees that I pulled out of the local woods and planted in the yard. So far, it's been an excellent growing season for us. Hope it continues.

20220522_082640.jpg
20220522_083246.jpg

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Me and Kennie G planted 30 maters in 7 different varieties tonight. Better Boys, Better Bush, Early Girls, Hillbillies, Romas, Midnight Snack grape, and traditional grape. I have room for about 36-40 peppers and they'll all go in this week. Got some 4-H pumpkins to plant too. Almost done with the planting, with good signs all around!

20220523_183617.jpg
20220523_193426.jpg
20220523_193348.jpg
20220523_193332.jpg
20220523_193321.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It fascinates me how plants just know stuff. For example, my tomato plants went in the ground on April 10th, they're about 4.5 feet tall now and covered in a good number of green tomatoes and blooms, but not a single ripe fruit yet. You guys planted later and I've seen that Adam has some red cherry tomatoes, and Jesse has a pepper. My pepper plant just bloomed last weekend. It's almost like the plants up there just know the growing season is shorter and they have to produce quicker.

I'm getting close to the height where I like to head the tomato plants to stop bush growth and have them concentrate on blooming and fruit.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
It fascinates me how plants just know stuff. For example, my tomato plants went in the ground on April 10th, they're about 4.5 feet tall now and covered in a good number of green tomatoes and blooms, but not a single ripe fruit yet. You guys planted later and I've seen that Adam has some red cherry tomatoes, and Jesse has a pepper. My pepper plant just bloomed last weekend. It's almost like the plants up there just know the growing season is shorter and they have to produce quicker.

I'm getting close to the height where I like to head the tomato plants to stop bush growth and have them concentrate on blooming and fruit.

Lol, those maters were planted as seeds in rd 1 back on Feb 18th. They don't know shit but to grow or die!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Planting is done just in time for more rain. Good growth on the corn and onions in the past few days also. Added 11 different varieties of peppers tonight, 54 plants total. Also put 8 heads of celery in the ground and added to pumpkin mounds using seeds the girls got from 4-H. I'll throw up my fencing this weekend and we'll settle in to maintenance mode.

20220525_193208.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Late but we are getting after it. Tilled. Weeded. Weed mat spread out. Drinking some ice water. Waiting on the wife to tell me where she wants plants. Irrigation with individual emitters for each plant will come later. Maybe later today? Maybe tomorrow? Maybe in a week. Let's see how whooped I am when we get everything planted.

whitetailjunky3

I’m sure this has been answered before I just can’t seem to find it. So I killed off the garden and 2 weeks later tilled it. Looked awesome as soon as my green beans got to 3 inches I put preen down. Everything looked great till this weekend. I have tons of grass coming up. Anyone got any good suggestions to kill it.

Reactions: Chancegriffis

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
I’m sure this has been answered before I just can’t seem to find it. So I killed off the garden and 2 weeks later tilled it. Looked awesome as soon as my green beans got to 3 inches I put preen down. Everything looked great till this weekend. I have tons of grass coming up. Anyone got any good suggestions to kill it.
What’re you looking to accomplish? Aesthetics?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
For next year. Till first then let the grass get a couple of inches and spray it with Gly, then wait a few days and plant without tilling. When you tilled it you brought dormant grass seed to the top.

As for now I would just hand weed around the plants if it's choking them out and run a hoe down the middle of the rows if the looks bother you or it's robbing shorter plants of sunshine.

Chancegriffis

Salesville ohio
For next year. Till first then let the grass get a couple of inches and spray it with Gly, then wait a few days and plant without tilling. When you tilled it you brought dormant grass seed to the top.

As for now I would just hand weed around the plants if it's choking them out and run a hoe down the middle of the rows if the looks bother you or it's robbing shorter plants of sunshine.
Couldn’t have said it better. I do have a suggestion for pst emergent herbicide if you’re looking for a recommendation though @whitetailjunky3

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I space everything out so that I can easily run my walk-behind tiller down the rows, which cuts way down on my weeding. I just set it at the highest setting and let it skim the surface. I use my hands and a hoe to do the rest. I learned a hard lesson one year by spraying the fence line near my garden with a combo of gly and 2,4-D and it wilted most of my garden, so I wouldn't risk something even like clethodim if it were me.

Reactions: Bankfish