Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
IMG_8329.jpeg
That should last for a while. Our first go with garlic….. Planted the end of last October.

Jamie

Ohio
Getting ours fenced in as I type this, my wife runs the show, I just pound stakes , weed the beds and turn the soil.
this is me, too. I gave up, lol. It is important to know your place in the world and what you are really good for. My wife would not dare try to tell me how to butcher a deer or smoke a brisket or run a chainsaw, so...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Those are nice looking heads of garlic. Well done sir. We planted garlic this spring again. Has never worked very well for us, but fingers crossed. Nancy got some starts from one of her teacher friends.
Everything thing we’ve read was October through November in planting and then forget about them until the bottom set of leaves look dried out.
We had one that looked like the runt of the litter. She pulled it over the weekend and it looked a lot better than I’d of imagined.
The rest were even better. Not sure if that’ll work in Ohio but I’d imagine it might?

JARHEAD

Behind you
I assume garlic is like onions? Need loose well draining soil. The bulbs need to be able to grow and you don't want them laying I'm real wet soil or they'd rot. IDK. Just guessing.

Reactions: "J"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I assume garlic is like onions? Need loose well draining soil. The bulbs need to be able to grow and you don't want them laying I'm real wet soil or they'd rot. IDK. Just guessing.
Probably why they’re a stick it in the ground and forget about them.

Reactions: JARHEAD

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Everything thing we’ve read was October through November in planting and then forget about them until the bottom set of leaves look dried out.
We had one that looked like the runt of the litter. She pulled it over the weekend and it looked a lot better than I’d of imagined.
The rest were even better. Not sure if that’ll work in Ohio but I’d imagine it might?
My wife’s uncle (Italian fellow) he still grows his dad’s garlic from Italy. Same thing here in Ohio - plant in fall and pull in Spring. I’m not sure why, but some species don’t do well with heat units and needs to over winter then they can produce “fruit” or seed. Think of a daikon radish - if you plant in fall - you’ll get a big bulb. You plant in Spring and it’ll bolt to produce seed. I’d imagine garlics the same.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
I finally recalled the term - vernalization! Here is a quick explanation (I found off the web) for those interested in garlic production - other species also can be considered.

“For most garlic varieties, you need vernalization to get stratification. In simpler terms, you need cold weather to form individual cloves on the garlic bulb. If you don't have proper vernalization or cold enough temperatures, you'll grow a solid bulb without individual cloves”

Reactions: Isaacorps and "J"

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
We use the soft neck variety of the garlic as it’s more suited for our climate. I guess the hard neck is what’s planted up in the colder climates.
Probably the easiest and low maintenance thing we’ve planted yet.

Reactions: 5Cent and at1010

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Worked all day on my gazebo bar and hopped in shower to get that sweaty stinky greasy feeling off me and looked out the bathroom window and saw 6 of my 9 bed maters laying on the ground after a brief shower while was inside. Whelp, I wasn’t having any of that shit so I quickly staked all 9 bed plants and now I need another shower. Dang it’s humid outside here still! Can’t wait till the cold front pushes on through and moves this sauna the heck outta here! Lol

IMG_3629.jpeg

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Heck yeah, that's a nice surprise Dave!

I should be able to wrap up tomorrow with beans and sunflowers, so we'll call her 95% done lol. Very happy with the rye mat, time to see how she does all season.

42 big maters
16 cherry maters
36 cucumbers (35 direct sow)
23 peppers
13 watermelon (2023 seed harvest)
- will do another round of direct sow when corner dries out
150+ pumpkins (earlier this week)

20240607_161053.jpg
20240607_161237.jpg

20240607_161203.jpg
20240607_161132.jpg

Pumpkin patch - all 2023 seed harvest.