Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You all are making me want to get some chickens again. For what it's worth I felt our co-op was a touch small for six chickens. Surprisingly we never had a huge slow down in egg production in winter. Maybe 4-5 eggs instead of 5-6 eggs a day. I feel it was due to the warmth caused by their close proximity. Or we just got a good batch of layers and we were lucky.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I planted my pear and apple trees over the weekend. They survived the wind thanks to proper staking, now we're looking at overnight lows in the upper-20s here. The peaches have already bloomed and are in full leaf. Apples are in mid-bloom and would be a bit difficult to cover with how tall and slender there are. Are you guys with young fruit trees covering them up during this cold snap?

OhioWhiteTails

Supporting Member
Flatlands
I planted my pear and apple trees over the weekend. They survived the wind thanks to proper staking, now we're looking at overnight lows in the upper-20s here. The peaches have already bloomed and are in full leaf. Apples are in mid-bloom and would be a bit difficult to cover with how tall and slender there are. Are you guys with young fruit trees covering them up during this cold snap?
I haven't, Jesse. The 16 I planted late fall are blooming though. Crossing my fingers.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
28ae7a188ab9015c4ba7c9ab364f2b78.jpg

Blan37

SW Ohio
What is dnr protocol on this? Whether trapping or killing fox, possum or coons out of season if they are a threat to livestock?
Falls under the nuisance wildlife laws.

Landowners and tenants: It shall be lawful for any person to trap live, non-migratory animals, except white-tailed deer, black bear, or wild turkey when such animals have become a nuisance. Such trapping shall be in accordance with the following provisions..

The above statement and all the provisions can be found here: https://www.westchesteroh.org/home/showdocument?id=36

Kill away...

Reactions: giles