Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jamie's canning thread is the perfect kind of knowledge for a thread like this and since I have several projects coming up, I figured I'd start something to keep track of ideas and finished projects. First order of business is recycling and compost bins. I'm also looking to get chickens very soon, so I'd welcome any chicken house ideas.

Reactions: 5Cent

Buckmaster

Portage
Jamie's canning thread is the perfect kind of knowledge for a thread like this and since I have several projects coming up, I figured I'd start something to keep track of ideas and finished projects. First order of business is recycling and compost bins. I'm also looking to get chickens very soon, so I'd welcome any chicken house ideas.

Awesome Thread!

I'm considering myself a "modern day homesteader". I've often thought of a thread like this. My final home construction begins this Spring..then I will be official. Looking forward to being a contributing "modern day homestead" poster boy.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm not much of a homesteader, but we do have a flock of chickens, ducks, two goats and four dogs. :) I'll be cutting down a half dozen big hackberry trees that are providing too much shade for my garden area soon. Mason wants to raise a hog, so we may do that too. Gonna plant some fruit trees after the hackberry trees are down. I think I'm going to drive a hand-pump well too, just cause I want a water source during power outages.

There are several great magazines on the market now that address this sort of thing. KR has been buying me one a month or so for the last several years. 've been getting two and they are titled American Frontiersman and Modern Pioneer or something like that... they are GREAT! Full of wonderful ideas for anyone that has an interest in doing this sort of thing.

Buckmaster

Portage
I think I'm going to drive a hand-pump well too, just cause I want a water source during power outages.

I bought our wooded lot the same week my first born arrived. I gambled and a scary experience for both. They are both now secure, years later....and 10 years old this year.
My first goal was to gain access, cut a lane, and build a pond. All are done.

The pond was initially done for water access and geothermal heating and cooling. In the end, I ended up with five 150' vertical wells for my geothermal system to minimalize my footprint in the yard (and closer to the house) to 20'x20'.

My pond is currently used for growing fish and an alternative source of water for flushing toilets when the power goes out and watering gardens.

Firewood....too much. I cut, split, stack, and sell to others for $ 200/cord...helps with the tax fund.

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Go ahead and dock man points, but Pinterest is a great source of information for this kind of stuff. I use it mostly for food related stuff, but do search for DIY/Homesteading stuff on there occasionally.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Speaking of firewood... I have an old wood burner out in the barn. I've had that thing humming the last few days as I butchered and processed Mason's buck. I enjoy a wood fire, but I don't think I want to switch over to heating full-time in the house. I am however thinking of making the western half of my barn into a man-cave. I'd like to make it a go-to living space for times of power outages...that's my excuse, I really just want a cool place to hang deer heads, store hunting gear, and hide from my bride! I may just get started on that project before I do anything else!...then again, I may be too old to get to the barn before I do anything.:smiley_chinrub:

Reactions: 5Cent

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Go ahead and dock man points, but Pinterest is a great source of information for this kind of stuff. I use it mostly for food related stuff, but do search for DIY/Homesteading stuff on there occasionally.

You are correct! I am not a pinterested person, but my bride reads things to me constantly, shows me pictures and whatnot while I'm trying to watch the Military Channel...

Buckmaster

Portage

I got my stuff from my Great Grandparents, Grandparents, and my father (turns 69 this year) whom seemed to hang out with the generation above him for all those years. All those wise men would be 100-105 years old right now.
I have methods, means, and hand written recipes as past on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That's a great advantage to have Ben, count your blessings. I remember about 20 years ago thinking I wanted to build a smoke house. I read some books, looked into it about as much as I could without the internet. After learning the optimum temp for smoking meat was around 120 degrees, I asked my Grandpa how they maintained the prescribed temperature in their old smoke house. He said, "Boy, what are you talking about? We just kept a fire going and smoke rolling through"... he had no idea what the temp was in the smoke house. He had smoked meat successfully for years. :)

NAC1989

Clark county
Great thread!!
I won't knock you for it, I use the girlfriends Pinterest for ideas and gardening projects to do.
List so far for this year is Im looking into possibly getting some chickens, multiple garden projects, and hopefully I'll be getting started on building a top bar beehive within the next few weeks to try my hand at beekeeping this year. Going to put in about 10 apple trees too.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Interesting post. My man cave is coming along. Installed the inside door this week to close off the man cave room. I got the 15' reloading bench installed, the wall cabinets above the bench, and a roll of double side shelves across the center. Need to insulate the ceiling and install my spare corn stove for next winter. Then move in my desk, and couch, chairs, and end table. Most of the reloading equipment is installed. Next come the supplies and parts. This was a good time to sort out 28 yrs. of gunshow buying and sell off everything I don't need.
Bring up my book collection and sort out the keepers, give some away, and sell off the rest. I started in the gunshow business along side my reloading equipment as a part-time book dealer and always sold one and keep a spare of good books. I have 100's of top rated gun and hunting books. Probably a shelve 100 ft. plus long.
New food plot going in and insulate the inside of my hunting tower.
Finish installing the alarm system, and installing a WiFi booster so I can have internet service from the house 400 ft. away.
Damn I got a lot to do so I'm off. LOL

Oh I can't forget to hang up my collection of deer antlers from the last 41 yrs.

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That sorta seems to be the theme in the magazines I mentioned... You know, "Hey look, here's how to raise free range chickens. And here is how you kill the UN invaders with chicken feet"... hehe. It seems a lot of people are feeling the need to fend for themselves and protect their families, and somehow having a flock of chickens and a ready supply of eggs is part of the process. :)

Carry on...

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
This is going to be a thread that I will be checking into quite often. For the past few years I have been wanting to get into homesteading. I just don't think it is going to be possible yet in my neighborhood. Ill be looking into it though.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Made use of a rainy day and an overzealous garden. 7 pints of hot pepper mustard and 12 pints of zesty bread and butter pickles. Tomorrow I'll be freezing 12 yellow squash. Starting to stock up the pantry space I built downstairs this winter!

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Made use of a rainy day and an overzealous garden. 7 pints of hot pepper mustard and 12 pints of zesty bread and butter pickles. Tomorrow I'll be freezing 12 yellow squash. Starting to stock up the pantry space I built downstairs this winter!

I liked you other mason jar recipe used for medicinal and snake bites that you brought to the bunny hunt.