Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Not much to report other than the medium size one I thought wouldn’t make it turned belly up this morning. They seem to be doing well and are acclimated to their new home.

Tomorrow my order from amazon will be in for the watering system. It consist of a 5 gallon buck, t’s to fit the pvc and water cups, along w tubing. Simple setup I found on YouTube. Should be completed by Saturday along w the chickens.....tired of humping water to the back and scrubbing water bowls. Will still have to either connect a few hoses to fill the 5 gallon buckets probably every 3 days, but I won’t have to worry about water running out during the day.

Wife wants me to rent a ditch witch and lay pipe and put a hose bib but I have tons of trees and most are live oaks. It would be the best situation but I’m not about it at the moment. Anyway I thought I’d share.

Next will be waiting for the birds to mature and start laying eggs. Usually6-8 weeks old then set another batch. Once I get enough adults it will be pickling eggs and dressing birds for the table.

Last edited:

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Not much to report other than the medium size one I thought wouldn’t make it turned belly up this morning. They seem to be doing well and are acclimated to their new home.

Tomorrow my order from amazon will be in for the watering system. It consist of a 5 gallon buck, t’s to fire the pvc and water cups, along w tubing. Simple setup I found on YouTube. Should be completed by Saturday along w the chickens.....tired of humping water to the back and scrubbing water bowls. Will still have to either connect a few hoses to fill the 5 gallon buckets probably every 3 days, but I won’t have to worry about water running out during the day.

Wife wants me to rent a ditch witch and lay pipe and put a hose bib but I have tons of trees and most are live oaks. It would be the best situation but I’m not about it at the moment. Anyway I thought I’d share.

Next will be waiting for the to mature and start laying eggs. Usually6-8 weeks old then set another batch. Once I get enough adults it will be pickling eggs and dressing birds for the table.
When the wife wants you to lay pipe...you lay pipe!😂

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
A few years ago she didn’t have to ask. W me aging and stress from work and home (dad) she’s on the wants and I ain’t.
F3585142-AB6B-46B2-AD2C-6BEAF2B2E2CF.jpeg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Got half the shipment of t’s today. Put in water’s in. Had a couple leaks, got all fixed except the bung in the bucket. Need to silicon it and change buckets. They seem to be using them within a couple minutes. Filled the cups, now just have to make sure they move the plunger after they are dry to make a few drops come out.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I made 5 quarts of sammich slices this weekend and had enough onions to do a half quart of pickled onions. My dad called last night and said one if the guys he works with salvaged a "shit ton" of jars, lids, and other canning supplies and they're mine if I want them. Good thing I reorganized the Armageddon Room this weekend to make room for more supplies!

IMG_20200719_163336_376.jpg

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Finished a second quail hutch today. We got a few hours of break from the rain. Still have some finishing touches to complete.

Reactions: Blan37

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
So I finished the second quail pens this evening after work. Both sets of two have auto water cups w 5 gallon buckets as the source. Stretched out 200’ of new hose so I don’t have to carry water to the back anymore.

So the birds are 28 days old and I decided to separate the 62 birds I have. One pen got 4 males and 13 hens, the other has 3 and 12. These will be my breeder pens. I figure to put 15 hens and 4 males in each and see how that goes. Looks like I can house 20 and 5 in each. I have 4 separate breeder pens in two hutches.

I have a grow out pen I made for the new chickens that I can modify for meat birds and egg producers. So my dilemma I have is do I wait6 weeks to start another hatching or order another120 eggs for $70 and get this party started.

What does the green screen say?