Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Many Squirrels - 2018

Bowkills

Nw oh
Last day..... I returned with a gun after hearing one chatting at me while I was splitting wood. Walking to the woods I look up to see one 25 yards away head high in a tree watching me. damn wind was cold so I had my head down for the 200yd walk....damn thing bolted when I shouldered the rifle. I didnt want to sit in this cold so decided to walk slow. Bushytails remained quiet so a slow walk towards brush piles was the next option and ones enough for a lunch and far easier to skin....good last day of squirrel season.
IMG_20190131_163126.jpg

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Just got done watching archers choice on tv and they were squirrel hunting. They mentioned a trick for when squirrels run into a hole in a tree. They said you rub an empty water bottle on the bark of the tree and sometimes the squirrel will run out of the hole. I’ve never heard of this before but am assuming that the squirrel hears it and thinks something is climbing up to them and they lose their nerve and bolt. Anyone ever do this with success?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Just got done watching archers choice on tv and they were squirrel hunting. They mentioned a trick for when squirrels run into a hole in a tree. They said you rub an empty water bottle on the bark of the tree and sometimes the squirrel will run out of the hole. I’ve never heard of this before but am assuming that the squirrel hears it and thinks something is climbing up to them and they lose their nerve and bolt. Anyone ever do this with success?
Not yet but I’m willing to give that a try!

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

My grandfather who was a squirrel hunting maniac would rub a big sick on the side of the tree up and down the bark and would then hit the tree with it. . I never saw it work but I would venture to say to old fella wasn't doing it for fun.