Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Waterfowl Chronicles

loose_is_fast

McClure
Hey Jesse, if you guys are looking for some nice silos these are on sale. They are the best silos I have seen and are very affordable right now.

Attachments

• 17529.jpg
    17529.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 248

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Nice hunt Jesse. Keep at it... The more you hunt the more you'll figure out what the birds like and dislike.

If you don't already have one, get yourself a goose flag or two. And learn to use it. Well-timed flagging can sometimes make all the difference in finishing geese.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Nice hunt Jesse. Keep at it... The more you hunt the more you'll figure out what the birds like and dislike.

If you don't already have one, get yourself a goose flag or two. And learn to use it. Well-timed flagging can sometimes make all the difference in finishing geese.
Well, we have one. However there's some argument over how to use it. My buddy was running it Sunday and hit a group that was inside 50 yards and IMO, it flared them. My understanding is the flag should not be used once birds are inside 100 yards or so as it becomes somewhat unnatural the closer they get. Thoughts on this?

Wmiller07

Yah I agree for the most part. Around 100 yards or so I'll raise the flag to about decoy height if they are looking a little squirrelly. However if they are locked onto your dekes in my opinion it's best to just let them come in.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Well, we have one. However there's some argument over how to use it. My buddy was running it Sunday and hit a group that was inside 50 yards and IMO, it flared them. My understanding is the flag should not be used once birds are inside 100 yards or so as it becomes somewhat unnatural the closer they get. Thoughts on this?

For two most part, you are correct. However I've had to use one many times inside of that distance. The trick is the timing. You can't get away with flagging them obnoxiously as they're coming right at you. But a couple subtle pops of the flag as they are swinging left or right or trying to skirt around you can often times draw them right to the blinds. It's like calling... You want them to hear it, just not well enough when they're close to figure out it's a trap.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Ended up with 4 ducks and a goose this morning before 8. I wasn't too sure about all the rain and wind but it worked out.they are hammering a corn field down the road that nobody can hunt they stayed on it til 5 o'clock last night.

Wmiller07

Ended up with 4 ducks and a goose this morning before 8. I wasn't too sure about all the rain and wind but it worked out.they are hammering a corn field down the road that nobody can hunt they stayed on it til 5 o'clock last night.

Nice! We got skunked today. The geese were acting really weird. They would come off the water, fly over the fields for a minute or two, and go straight back to water. I've never seen anything like it. We had four ducks come over us just low enough to shoot and we both missed. To top off not getting anything the field was a big mud hole so the dog and I were a big muddy mess.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Am impromptu final day hunt this afternoon in the lake Erie zone. The north wind, heavy snow and ice made for a really picturesque afternoon. Thankfully the birds cooperated too. My buddy had his six birds before I showed up. I ended up with four mallards, one gadwall, and a real nice bull-sprig pinnie. Betty finished it up on an ice-breaking 150+ yard retrieve on a crippled drake mallard. Awesome way to end our season up here. Tomorrow morning I'll be laying in a corn field waiting on geese.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Very nice JB!

We hunted Saturday and scratched out 3 ducks. We had some differences of opinions on decoy placement and calling (merging groups right now, so we're getting the new team lined out) but we had fun. Today, one drake mallard thanks to the ice killing us and only one group of geese flying. I think we all agreed to lease this new field if possible, then build a pit blind and buy an ice eater. If that all happens, we got us a primetime spot if SE OH ever had one.

Wmiller07

Very nice JB!

We hunted Saturday and scratched out 3 ducks. We had some differences of opinions on decoy placement and calling (merging groups right now, so we're getting the new team lined out) but we had fun. Today, one drake mallard thanks to the ice killing us and only one group of geese flying. I think we all agreed to lease this new field if possible, then build a pit blind and buy an ice eater. If that all happens, we got us a primetime spot if SE OH ever had one.

Better than a skunk. Good luck on leasing.

Wmiller07

I forgot that I asked for some divebomb silos from my parents for Christmas. I opened them today and I think they look really good. I got the flocked version and the paint seems to have a gritty texture to it which I think will cut down the glare. We will find out Saturday. I also bought some ghg goose shells so that bring me up to five dozen decoys. I'm going to be playing Tetris getting all this stuff in my Corolla lol.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Timber got to do some work the other day. He's always beyond happy to get out. Going on 10 years old in January, these hunts wear him out for a day or two...

DSC_0847_es by Sean Curran, on Flickr

The wife and I are on different pages when it come to hunting him. Understandably, she wants him to take it easy. She worries that a hard hunt, in tough conditions might do him in. I see things through a different lens. His will to hunt is too strong to leave him at home. He's in very good shape for his age. Physically and mentally he hunts like a dog half his age, but he doesn't bounce back like he used to... none of us do. Given the choice, I'd rather see him go doing something he loves to do and lives for, instead of just getting old and fat and having to be put down. It sounds harsh when it's typed out, but I'd rather go out the same way, doing something I love to do. Life is for living, you've got to make the most of the heartbeats you're given.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If dogs make choices, there is no doubt in my mind after meeting Timber and following along all these years, he decides to do what he loves alongside dad until the end of days. Remi is now totally blind. He navigates off smell and just knowing his surroundings. Actually, Lulu helps too. You can tell she understands he needs help getting around and will "herd" him around things. Pretty crazy to witness. But physically at 10.5, he's still a stud and would love to be hunting with us. For humans and good dogs, the end of days is often a rough road. I hope Timber has a bunch more great hunts before his hunt is over.