Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Topo Maps???????

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I figured this would kill two birds with one stone. I need a link and this should be a good reference for any newbies coming to the site. Would someone be kind enough to post up some links to a couple good sites for topo maps.

Thanks in advance.

NoDakRat

http://www.wilderness.net/

Used this for my Colorado elk hunt this year. Has both topo and terrain. From home page, click on "Maps, Data, and Images" tab. Then "Maps", then "GIS Map". Zoom into the location you want.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Two words... ArcGIS Explorer. Download that... it's a free GIS viewer software, similar to GoogleEarth but with more tools and capability. The best part about it is, once you have it, you can download extra imagery files from this site and view them with ArcGIS Explorer. These image mosaics are much better than most free stuff off the internet. If you hunt in a county that has 6" MrSID Mosaics, definitely download that!!! It will take a while, but the resolution is so good it's like you're sitting in the tree.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
maps on "Bing.com", birds eye view are some of the best i've seen for over head.

Two words... ArcGIS Explorer. Download that... it's a free GIS viewer software, similar to GoogleEarth but with more tools and capability. The best part about it is, once you have it, you can download extra imagery files from this site and view them with ArcGIS Explorer. These image mosaics are much better than most free stuff off the internet. If you hunt in a county that has 6" MrSID Mosaics, definitely download that!!! It will take a while, but the resolution is so good it's like you're sitting in the tree.

i like this one its more updated then bing

rrr

Yea I actually opened Earth on one screen and ran Arc on the other screen and it worked out just fine - much better images. It was kinda funny for my area, zoomed in at say '5' was a recent image within 2 yrds, but closer it moved the image back in time.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
oh you mean like a tutorial? Like this is a saddle...this is a hogs back, this is a funnell? Wouldnt be a bad idea....That would be a good sticky to put up for people with little topo/terrain experience to see.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Was there a thread where someone posted up pics of saddles and things they had higlited? would be very helpfull.

Buy the book Mapping Trophy Bucks by Brad Herndon. I picked it up last summer, read it twice (cuz I typically don't retain much) and then used it constantly as a reference tool. Definitely a good book for any serious deer hunter.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Do you guys know if there are any sights that shows the sattelite view and topo together in one image?

I don't know of any sites like that, but you can do it using ArcGIS Explorer. Use the aerial photo as your basemap, then bring in a topo layer over top of it, then reduce the topo to like 50 or 60 percent transparency. That should give you the effect you're looking for.