Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tornado Sirens

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sorry fellas,

It turned out ok here. I guess they spotted one up around Chatfield and so they just set off the sirens just because there was one in the county.

Ya know something, I like having an early warning system. However, I think they over use the dang things. I don't even head to the basement anymore without looking for myself first. I would say, over the past 3 summers that stupid thing has been set off about 100 times and the storm that might have or had produced a small tornado was a good 20-30 miles as the crow flies and the system was moving in a direction that was going away from us. Then you toss in the fact that they sound the siren again for an all clear siren....and on Wednesday afternoon "to test them".

Here is a scenario for you. The 10th when they set it off around 7pm we had a light rain no wind and the sky way as fairly bright. They set off the siren....

Now on the 9th at 6am we had hail the size of large golfballs and as big around as a soda can with 60 mph winds and black as black could be....NO SIREN....

I don't get it lmao.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I know a bunch of early warning systems are controlled by the county.. They don't have the ability to only turn the sirens on in certain areas. It's the while county or nothing.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I know a bunch of early warning systems are controlled by the county.. They don't have the ability to only turn the sirens on in certain areas. It's the while county or nothing.

Yup.

That might have been good during the origin of the siren (air raids) but with the technology that is available they should be able to do municipalities on their own and not get people like me saying " Their crying wolf again "

I'm horrible about it. I hear the sirens go off and the first thing I do is look out at the weather going on and if I don't see anything I step outside like I did when you was on the phone the other day. I have seen tornado's and the weather that come with them and no I'm not an expert but I do know what the signs are and what to look for. I do however send the wife and kids to the basement when they go off. Even if I'm not in the house my son takes off like a bullet and stands at the bottom of the basement steps yelling for me the other day since it was just me and him here at home.

I'm not a good role - model when it comes to the sirens but I think the system needs updated and fixed so it doesn't create more people like myself and protects people like it was meant to do.