Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tractor vs ditch witch?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The cab vs no cab debate totally depends on your intended uses. A cab obviously offers comfort, and some protection as well. There are downsides to a cab, though. Decreased visibility (sometimes), tighter quarters entering and exiting the tractor, and the cab is only good when the climate control works… a cab with functional AC is great… however there’s nothing worse than a cab with poor AC, or AC that quits workin altogether. The other thing people don’t usually think of is the fact that a cab invites rodents to the interior of your tractor. No matter what you do, mice will inevitably get inside the cab at some point. If they make themselves at home in your headliner or ventilation system, that awesome cab will instead become a urine stench box of hell.

For me personally, for typical jobs around the farm/homestead, an open-station ROPS tractor is the way to go. If you’re going to spend long hours mowing in summer heat or pushing snow in the winter, then maybe a cab would be worth the extra coin and hassle. But that’s your call.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If they make themselves at home in your headliner or ventilation system, that awesome cab will instead become a urine stench box of hell.
I see you've ridden in our big tractor. 🤮

Bees and AC are the only 2 reasons for a cab, IMO. Brushhogging over bees with no cab sucks, but is very satisfying while in the comfort and safety of the cab. And those all day mowing jobs in late summer make the AC worth the $.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Back to snow- put a blade on the skid loader. Very efficient compared to a bucket. Even buy a cheap used one off a truck and plumb lines to make it power angle. Very easy project.

Cab or no cab? How long will you be in it? How often? Our skid loaders are all two speed, enclosed cab, heat and AC. The only reason is for snow. Commercial versus personal use is way different. I would buy an open cab if personal use only simply because of cost and the fact I won't be in it very long.

For a tractor? I don't know. I've only had open cab tractors. Both have had a canopy though and that is nice until you are around low hanging tree limbs. Open ground the canopy keeps some of the sun and light rain off you.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Cab on skid steer is a no-brainer, but I prefer no cab on tractors for all the reasons JB and Jesse listed. Too many nightmares of being hotter in the cab than on the hay/straw wagon when bailing or dodging/trying to kill mice once you start it and rattle em out of their nests. If new like Albert's and you can keep it clean, different story.