Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trad Tech / Hoyt

I made a visit to 3 Rivers Archery today, with the intent to purchase another set of Uukha Gobi limbs. I would need medium length limbs for my 17" Trad Tech riser. Previously, I had a set of DAS bamboo core longbow limbs on this riser and I've spent a lot of time getting it to shoot well with Easton Axis 5mm 600 spine arrows. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not a longbow guy. It's just me, but I don't care for the draw cycle, slower arrow speed and how the limbs feel at full draw. (n)

As it turns out, this light weight 17" Trad Tech riser doesn't handle the speed or action of the limbs, at all. :oops: Way too much vibration and "twang" out of the limb tips and the string. So, I tried out a set of Hoyt limbs at 45# and they shot well, but felt like they were a heavier draw weight than was marked on the limb. The technician put it on the digital scale and they came out to 52#. :rolleyes: He swapped them out for a set of 40# limbs, that scaled out at 44#, which shot very well. I purchased a set with the wood grain faces, brought them home and started tuning. :)

So far, these limbs really spit an arrow and seem to like a 400 spine with a 200 gr. tip. I ran out of daylight figuring out the BH and nocking point height. :cautious: As it stands, I have a 7 7/8" BH, but the nocking point need to go up to 5/8", from 1/2". I'm still seeing a little porpoising at 20 yards. Overall, I'm very happy with this limb choice.(y) I'll spend some more time on this new project tomorrow and get it fine tuned. :cool:
TT 1.jpg

TT 2.jpg

Creamer

Athens
I'm not an ILF person, I've never shot one or owned one. But I might be understanding this correctly, doesn't the riser length play a big role in draw weight? Meaning, the same limbs on different riser lengths will produce different draw weights?