Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Transducer question?

whitetailjunky3

Anybody ever mount 2 transducers to transom of boat? The boat come with a lowrance hook 4 with maps chip. I got a new humminbird helix 5 I know I don’t need a transducer for gps in lowrance. I was wondering if anyone ever mounted both transducers to transom to be able to use both at the console. I have read you can and also that you can’t.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’d say as long as they’re on opposite sides that they shouldn’t interfere with each other.
I personally haven’t done or seen it done but as long as the cones don’t dissect each other there shouldn’t be a problem.
Try it and find out. Worst case scenario, you will have too relocate it.

Reactions: MoonLab
Your biggest issue will be in the frequencies each projects. As long as they are fairly separated frequency wise you will be fine. Example 50 degree and 200 degree is fine, but closer numbers say 80 and 83 would probably create interference. We see it often with a group of guys ice fishing close together for example. You should find some shielding options in the unit manuals or from tech support.

Reactions: whitetailjunky3
It is definitely doable. I've done it with down scan and side scan units from years ago. As J said, run the wires on opposite sides of the boat if possible and separate the transducers as much as possible.

Most poor reading issues are due to transducer location with turbulence under the boat or from un or inproper wire shielding. Keep the compass and radio a decent distance as well as the antennae from them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It is definitely doable. I've done it with down scan and side scan units from years ago. As J said, run the wires on opposite sides of the boat if possible and separate the transducers as much as possible.

Most poor reading issues are due to transducer location with turbulence under the boat or from un or inproper wire shielding. Keep the compass and radio a decent distance as well as the antennae from them.
Exactly, keep it as far apart as possible. Also, keep the transducer cord as far from the trolling motor power cord as well…. Hummingbirds got a filter for their units that keeps the power clean too the unit..

Also, run a new set of wires for each unit. If you have older wires and you tap into them, there could be some issues. That’s wha I ran into when I mounted my Helix 7 a few years back….

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It should work just fine. No different than two people ice fishing in the same shanty with two sets of electronics. I’ve done it 100 times. Flashers tend to create interference, but I’ve never had a problem with two sonar units, like Lowrance, Garmin, etc.

But why? What do you want to run two graphs at the back of the boat for?

whitetailjunky3

I don’t necessarily want to run both at same time but the lowrance has c maps card so I am going to use it for gps till I can upgrade. I just figured I would leave transducer hooked up in case I would need it. Mainly only be for gps tho

Reactions: jagermeister