Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TRC controlled hunt

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Well went to my 1st TRC draw and got the 17th slot out of 18! I know nothing about this section other than people tend to say it's loaded with deer! I have seen a handful driving by it all my life. If any one has any information about it, I would greatly appreciate it! Its a every Saturday and Sunday hunt until Dec 1st.

Reactions: giles

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I should add I have to go back on sept 12 for a information meeting and section choice. Until then I’ll be using google maps and looking at the possibles and trying to pick a good spot based on that information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Hey I guess I'll see you there. My buddy got drawn somewhere in the 10-12th spot. I've never hunted it either but know a couple people who have. They claim it was amazing.

Reactions: NWOHhunter

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
Nice!!! I think just about any section looks like it has some good pinch points and secluded fields. It will be interesting ! I am setting myself up for not seeing a deer! Last year I got a reality check on a controlled hunt!

I hunted 2 different Units D and G, during the late hunt from the of the Deer Gun Season, to the end of the Deer Bow Season.
It sucked!!! (n)
Unit D is so huge that you'd walk your ass off trying to get to a place where the deer would/could be located. I seen 2 does and the rest of the time, coyotes. :mad: A 4 wheeler is a must for that area and I don't have one.
Unit G is more hilly and rugged terrain. It had some awesome sign of deer in the area, but we never seen the first one, until after dark, on the way out. :rolleyes:

The Game Wardens swear that there are deer on the property and have physically seen them. Thing is, they're "seeing" them in the middle of the night with Night Vision. That does absolutely nothing for me, during legal hunting hours. Then there's the constant sightings of coyotes, which we're allowed to kill, but wastes my time (and arrows).
It all boils down to the fact that this program has been in place for over 7 years, so the herd has been greatly reduced from what it was when it started. The guards at the Gate House (where you check in and out), said that when this started there were deer laying under the bushes, right by their building.

I'm not saying you won't get a deer, while you're there. There were a few deer taken during the late session. However, buy your deer tags as you go. DON'T buy 3 or more tags thinking you're going to be shooting fish in a barrel.
My whole take on the experience is that...
* I drove an hour to get there. I had to be there at 5 a.m. (earliest you're allowed to check in at the gate), so I had time to get to the area I was going to hunt, before first light.
* It's only on the weekends. (Limited time hunting)
* Depending on the area, a 4 wheeler is a must.
* You're only allowed to shoot deer, coyotes and wild hogs...period.
* They're EXTREMELY strict about NO photos on their property. Not an issue for me and I understand their reasoning for the policy.

I have other places to hunt, that are closer and have more deer. I'll pass. :)
Good luck to those that get drawn! :cool:

Bowhunter57

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I hunted 2 different Units D and G, during the late hunt from the of the Deer Gun Season, to the end of the Deer Bow Season.
It sucked!!! (n)
Unit D is so huge that you'd walk your ass off trying to get to a place where the deer would/could be located. I seen 2 does and the rest of the time, coyotes. :mad: A 4 wheeler is a must for that area and I don't have one.
Unit G is more hilly and rugged terrain. It had some awesome sign of deer in the area, but we never seen the first one, until after dark, on the way out. :rolleyes:

The Game Wardens swear that there are deer on the property and have physically seen them. Thing is, they're "seeing" them in the middle of the night with Night Vision. That does absolutely nothing for me, during legal hunting hours. Then there's the constant sightings of coyotes, which we're allowed to kill, but wastes my time (and arrows).
It all boils down to the fact that this program has been in place for over 7 years, so the herd has been greatly reduced from what it was when it started. The guards at the Gate House (where you check in and out), said that when this started there were deer laying under the bushes, right by their building.

I'm not saying you won't get a deer, while you're there. There were a few deer taken during the late session. However, buy your deer tags as you go. DON'T buy 3 or more tags thinking you're going to be shooting fish in a barrel.
My whole take on the experience is that...
* I drove an hour to get there. I had to be there at 5 a.m. (earliest you're allowed to check in at the gate), so I had time to get to the area I was going to hunt, before first light.
* It's only on the weekends. (Limited time hunting)
* Depending on the area, a 4 wheeler is a must.
* You're only allowed to shoot deer, coyotes and wild hogs...period.
* They're EXTREMELY strict about NO photos on their property. Not an issue for me and I understand their reasoning for the policy.

I have other places to hunt, that are closer and have more deer. I'll pass. :)
Good luck to those that get drawn! :cool:

Bowhunter57
- Unit G is hilly? Is that the unit that is 1 of 4? that kind of make a square?
-It basically says that you can't have a utv is only permitted if you are handicapped.
-I am not getting remotely excited for this hunt, I know my deer sightings might be like they are back home. So I that won't be a problem. I am able to hunt from opening weekend to the Dec 1st weekend. The off road track looks promising but I doubt I'll get a choice where I hunt, it will be whatever is left.

NWOHhunter

NW Ohio
I will say that I haven't heard one person say it's an awesome hunt! So I am not getting too pumped, I got some nice bucks around my area back home and would be happy to harvest one of those dudes!!
There was a nw guy whose been drawn the last 3 yrs so he has to have some success??

- Unit G is hilly? Is that the unit that is 1 of 4? that kind of make a square?
-It basically says that you can't have a utv is only permitted if you are handicapped.
-I am not getting remotely excited for this hunt, I know my deer sightings might be like they are back home. So I that won't be a problem. I am able to hunt from opening weekend to the Dec 1st weekend. The off road track looks promising but I doubt I'll get a choice where I hunt, it will be whatever is left.
NWOHhunter,
Unit G is very hilly. I was there for the late season hunt and had to park on the top of the hill, due to the possibilities of getting stuck in the lower sections. It is also one of the sections that allows gun hunting, because it's away from the TRC test track area.
As for using an ATV, I never read the "rules" about it, because I don't have one. However, there were other hunters that used them in Unit D, where I started hunting originally. Unit D is over a mile long and is between 33 and the track. The wooded area is at the other end of the Unit. :rolleyes: I hunted in a bottom section (middle of Unit D), close to the swamp that's next to 33. The deer seemed to be traveling that route....even though I only seen them go through there twice.

The coyotes may or may not follow you in and out...at a distance. The TRC employees feed them snacks, so they see humans as a food source. :unsure: The GWs told us that one of the hunters swore a pack of coyotes was stalking him. The hunter shot all of his arrows, fearing for his life and killing one of the four in the pack. The hunter said at times they were as close as 20 feet. The GWs assured him that they were waiting for a handout and not interested in HIM.

I found the TRC manager Bud Brentlinger to be very helpful with what was going on with the property, animal sightings and general information about the hunt. (y):cool: I can cover more about this issue, if you're interested, by calling me on the phone.

Bowhunter57