Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree inventory app

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Is there a good app I could use to inventory trees in a wood lot? What I’d like is an app where as I walk through the woods I can record trees by species, size and location.

I see there’s one called arbor pro. I thought maybe someone has experience with one and can make a recommendation.

Reactions: Spencie

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm sure there's got to be a forestry-related inventory or cataloging app available. Location data might be approximate, at best. GPS signal inside the timber is total shit, even for the $10k high-end units.

Reactions: Ohiosam

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have an app called Seek that is good at IDing.

I’m more interested in mapping. Specifically I want to have a map of maple trees and their size around the farm so I can plan on tapping them.

Someone suggested onX, but it’s more for locating tree stands.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sounds like a cool idea and I can't believe it doesn't exist. It has to. The only issue I can see is GPS like Jim said. As long as approximate is good enough then there has to be something. Other than the old flagfing tape, a permanent marker and a paper log I don't know.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
So I have almost 100 acres but my woods are 3 small patches of about 12 acres total plus some fence rows and of course the trees around the buildings. GPS signal is not an issue and I don’t need the location to be perfect, within a few yards is plenty accurate. This spring as I was planting every once in a while I’d notice a maple along the field as I was going past and thought it would be great just to mark them with my phone.

Paper is a pia. And I’d just prefer not spray painting the trees but not dead set against that.

1653335023693.png