Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tree stands for Turkeys?

Has anyone hunted turkeys from a tree stand vs. a ground blind or just on the ground type hunting? :unsure:

It would get you up off of the ground and away from the ticks and provide an improved view....until the ground foliage becomes too thick.
Your thoughts?

Bowhunter57

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Almost every turkey that came into my stand while deer hunting has picked me off. They don’t spook every time but their body language and reaction tells me they see me. A blind is much better...a turkey could come out to the same field everyday of its life and then one day there is a blind in the middle of a field...they won’t be suspicious at all...it’s almost like they think the blind has been there all along. Deer are just the opposite..put a blind out during deer season in the middle of a field and they are always suspicious...takes them weeks to accept it.

Almost every turkey that came into my stand while deer hunting has picked me off. They don’t spook every time but their body language and reaction tells me they see me. A blind is much better...a turkey could come out to the same field everyday of its life and then one day there is a blind in the middle of a field...they won’t be suspicious at all...it’s almost like they think the blind has been there all along. Deer are just the opposite..put a blind out during deer season in the middle of a field and they are always suspicious...takes them weeks to accept it.

This has been my experience as well.

Isaacorps

Columbus
It’s all about them picking out your outline. They’ll nail you in a tree every time as opposed to being in a blind or having your outline well broken up against the base of a tree or other natural terrain features. They don’t recognize a blind as a threat as opposed to a human silhouette, whether it be in the open or up in a tree.