Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trying something new for a coyote howler

Creamer

Athens
I've been using some bird/woodpecker distress calls lately. They aren't as loud but the hawks certainly approve. The last two hunts, hawks responded quickly to that call. I was hoping to make one a little louder, so I doubled the reeds and used a nice hard piece of osage as the "horn" end of this call with the top piece being claro walnut. The blank glued up and ready to turn.

Pre-finishing.

And done.

The call sounds good, I'm pretty happy with it. It's definitely louder and raspier. I guess I'll have to call it...the magnum pecker? :LOL:

Creamer

Athens
I have the horn end of a Foxpro call that works ok as an amplifier for mouth calls...but I'd rather make one. So, I pulled another buffalo horn from my box of 4 I originally bought and started cutting and sanding. This was the final grit of the polishing paste I applied.

Much like the following meme, I knew saving those little scraps of wood would come in handy one day!

I had a little 1 1/4" scrap of bocote in the bottom of my wood drawer that I figured would work well for the mouthpiece of the new amp horn. Didn't turn out too bad.

Reactions: Left field