Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tuning Question

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Hi all,
With field points I’m a good shot, I can make softball sized groups at 100 yards. However, I’m definitely one of the youngsters who never learned how to tune well because none of my family or friends shoot.

When I got my newest bow from PSE (warranty), it was paper tuned and shooting bullet holes. Broadheads matched up perfectly with field points. However, after a thousand or so arrows through it my broadheads are now hitting four inches right at 20 yards. I tried moving my rest to the left about ten times until my sight couldn’t move any farther left. Moved it about a half inch by the end and it was obviously not centered on the bow. My broadheads were still the same, four inches to the right. I ended up just sighting it in for broadheads for now because it is hunting season here and mechanicals are illegal in Oregon. I want to fix this, do you guys have any ideas for other things I could check or will I need to take it to a shop? I do not have a bow press.

Thank you!

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Bareshaft then make adjustments.

By bare shaft (I know that means no fletchings) with a foam target what exactly do you mean? Sorry, not well informed on these things. Spent all my time trying to learn deer and trying to catch up on my tech. If you have a link to a video or something to save you spending time explaining I can just watch that. Thank you!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You just shoot your arrow with no fletchings into a foam target. You then shoot a fletched arrow. You make adjustments to your rest beamed upon the difference between the two

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
IMG_1257.JPG

Bare shafts are hitting right but angled with the nock extremely to the left at 10 yds. Will have to watch through that video again to figure out the adjustment. Just wanted to hear from y’all TOO for double confirmation

(First pin is for 30 yds with broadheads so not hitting center of target)

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
@“J” the impression I got was it is primarily to eliminate steering on the arrow

@Milo the bares were hitting right so I moved the rest left based on the video. The angle of the shafts got worse. So I decided to act like it was a paper tune and moved the rest to the right of where it had been. The arrows are now dead straight and I robin hooded my fletched arrow :(. However, the rest is now so close to the riser that I think my fletchings are hitting, now I don’t know if that’s even worse

teenbowhunter

Delaware County
Broadheads are flying much better at 20 now. Will go to the range for longer range tomorrow to double check everything. Thanks @Milo this is why I’ll never leave TOO. Broadheads were hitting right of field points but the rest had to be moved right. I don’t know how that makes sense but I’m glad I figured it out.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Post a pic buddy. I’d like to know how close to the riser you are with the center of the shaft.