Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season LIVE! - 2022 Edition

Isaacorps

Columbus
See you guys in a couple of hours😬
1651333984162.gif

Ryanknifemaker

Akron
What's up! I'm new to the forum. And new to turkey hunting I went out about 3 years ago with a real turkey nerd he's been all over the states and collected them all after going out with him and I missed the gobbler he called in for me lol. I was hooked! I've been out on my own trying to figure the turkey out last season and currently does any one have some tips on what calls work best. and locations for public land that hold some turkey in north east ohio or south?

Reactions: ThatBuckeyeGuy

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
What's up! I'm new to the forum. And new to turkey hunting I went out about 3 years ago with a real turkey nerd he's been all over the states and collected them all after going out with him and I missed the gobbler he called in for me lol. I was hooked! I've been out on my own trying to figure the turkey out last season and currently does any one have some tips on what calls work best. and locations for public land that hold some turkey in north east ohio or south?
Welcome , calls will very on the situation although everyone has their favorites. I use a slate and a box. Box calls and mouth calls are good for distance calling and when hunting in the wind you can get pretty loud on them. Also easier to only use your mouth call when they are close . I love my slate for general quiet mornings , I went through several till I found one I like. For me you can't beat the natural sounds and purrs that a good slate will produce , strikers also make a difference. Pick up some calls and start practicing. It doesn't take alot of skill to call one in but it does take some to call in the hung up stubborn birds. As far as public land goes I mainly hunt private but I have had some luck at saltfork and Atwood in the years past. Others will chime in , best of luck to you 👍

Last edited:

JARHEAD

Behind you
Welcome!

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Welcome to TOO!

Ryanknifemaker

Akron
Welcome , calls will very on the situation although everyone has their favorites. I use a slate and a box. Box calls and mouth calls are good for distance calling and when hunting in the wind you can get pretty loud on them. Also easier to only use your mouth call when they are close . I love my slate for general quiet mornings , I went through several till I found one I like. For me you can't beat the natural sounds and purrs that a good slate will produce , strikers also make a difference. Pick up some calls and start practicing. It doesn't take alot of skill to call one in but it does take some to call in the hung up stubborn birds. As far as public land goes I mainly hunt private but I have had some luck at saltfork and Atwood in the years past. Others will chime in , best of luck

Ryanknifemaker

Akron
Thanks guys. the info much appreciated. I was out yesterday up north ashtrubula county misqeto creek heard one sound off after a cyote early and another right at noon found some tracks first sign I've seen in both seasons.I was beginning to think there was no turkey in ohio haha!

Reactions: ThatBuckeyeGuy

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
If heading down south, try Fox Lake or Lake Rupert. I’ve seen turkeys at both. 👍

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
View attachment 151201View attachment 151202
Had some more fun w/ @Boarhead

Been fortunate enough to have had good gobbling action the majority of our hunts.

Was planning to use @boarheads recurve to kill my first bow turkey but he got out of my comfy range so I used the boomstick instead on this Jake

Have been having way too much fun
Yep been alot of fun the last few days. Will post the video in a few.

Stressless

Keene, OH
Will you not be able to get out again over the next 3 weeks?
No chance for me. My two kids bookended their weddings Mar and Jun this Spring, both in Colorado, and I went to camp early to get that work on the pond done. My kitchen pass has been revoked! 🤐 ...but I got out for a week or so with everything going on, had a bird in gun range and for that I'm grateful..

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
View attachment 151201View attachment 151202
Had some more fun w/ @Boarhead while I’m in town

Been fortunate enough to have had good gobbling action the majority of our hunts.

Was planning to use @boarheads recurve to kill my first bow turkey but he got out of my comfy range so I used the boomstick instead on this Jake

Have been having way too much fun
Here's a pic for you...my goal was to get Cole a bird this year while he was in town. Goal accomplished.. now I will get back at em with the bow.
20220430_115312.jpg
20220430_115236.jpg