Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season LIVE! - 2022 Edition

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
Screenshot_20220424-105548_Gallery.jpg

OO2

In the Uplands
Worked one for about 45 mins this morning trying to get Cole one and finally got him in range, I coulda blasted him but had my bow with me, Cole didn't have a clear shot from his position with the gun. I will be back at it tomorrow then back to work.
#fired shooter

I believe the saying is… all the fun, none of the mess

Last edited:
Joe
Awesome man! Congrats. Can't wait to hear the story.
This property is maybe 40 acres of woods and 120 of cultivated fields
I don’t have permission to hunt any of the adjoining properties.
Good Friday I went back and listened and marked 4 birds gobbling
Opening morning nothing! I walked the entire perimeter calling and nothing. I stayed until 11:30 hoping a bird would fire up, nothing.
So this morning I decided if nothing gobbled on the roost I would go home and work on the yard.
This morning the birds started singing and no gobbling
But I kept thinking I could hear a bird way off on the other property. These properties form a big valley with the property line in the very bottom of the valley. I got to the property line pulled out a pot call and yelped 3 or 4 notes.
I hate being in the bottom but no real options, so he gobbled a couple of seconds after I called. I thought he was still in a tree and a ways off.
I put on my gloves and head net popped in a diaphragm and called softly again.
He cut off the call and I knew he is on the ground and already cut the distance in half.
I looked for a tree in this bottom to sit against, choices were not great but I plopped my ass down and put the gun up.
Almost straight uphill, the first thing I saw was the top of his fan!
Slowly he strutted to the edge and the color was amazing, red blue white full strut.
He got to edge and could not see his hen so he broke strut and raised his head. This was at maybe 10 yards. Of course at that point I dropped the hammer and you can see from the picture it took the top of his head off.
This is probably my longest post ever I hope it makes sense.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe

Opening morning nothing! I walked the entire perimeter calling and nothing. I stayed until 11:30 hoping a bird would fire up, nothing.
So this morning I decided if nothing gobbled on the roost I would go home and work on the yard.
But I kept thinking I could hear a bird way off on the other property. These properties form a big valley with the property line in the very bottom of the valley. I got to the property line pulled out a pot call and yelped 3 or 4 notes.
I hate being in the bottom but no real options, so he gobbled a couple of seconds after I called. I thought he was still in a tree and a ways off.
He cut off the call and I knew he is on the ground and already cut the distance in half.
I looked for a tree in this bottom to sit against, choices were not great but I plopped my ass down and put the gun up.
Slowly he strutted to the edge and the color was amazing, red blue white full strut.
He got to edge and could not see his hen so he broke strut and raised his head. This was at maybe 10 yards. Of course at that point I dropped the hammer and you can see from the picture it took the top of his head off.

Makes complete sense buddy. That's awesome. Love it when a plan goes from zero to hero so quick.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Joe

Awesome!!!! Congratulations!

Reactions: switchhitter

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Jersey isn’t like most other states when it comes to Turkey season…instead of buying a permit and going the entire season, you have to apply for a permit through a lottery. The season is broke down into sections. I got my two choices that I applied for. “A” week which starts today and runs through Friday, and “B” week, which starts next Monday and runs through that Friday. A buddy of mine got “C” week and another one got “E” week (all saturdays during the season). I’m set to head out in about an hour. Trail cams have shown that I have gobblers coming off the roost about 80 yards behind my blind before heading toward the field (my blind covers the field edge) so hopefully I’ll get one early. Good luck to everyone fortunate enough to be out today.