Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Season LIVE! - 2022 Edition

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I refuse to deer hunt for turkeys.lol if I can't work one and kill him then he wins that day.
I completely understand. But we have an abundance of older birds for some reason and they will not come towards a hen sound. The hens must go to them. They are willing to talk to you at times though.
These birds need to die before we can have fun killing the 2 year olds.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
T ball and birthday party. Arg
58170BB5-9ED5-4E70-9901-C15329150C26.jpeg

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I climbed in a box blind at the central hub of our property. It is dead center of the 100 acres and there are 7 four wheeler trails, various points and heads of hollows all meeting here. The daily random cell cam gobbler usually passes through before/after he is on cam. He hasn’t been through yet today. It’s a sauna inside this box and I don’t know how long I can hold out but I had to try. Calling makes them go the other way so it’s just a sit back and wait type of hunt.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
FFEF63C9-6BB8-4C12-A11C-311DF9A51A3F.jpeg
My blind is set up in a traditional strut zone. At least in years when turkeys act right. The grass had grown pretty tall so I loaded up my mower and pulled it over there and cut it. The landowner offered his tractor and bush hog but somehow this seemed easier than going down the road to the barn to get it. Hopefully it might increase activity over the next week.

Jamie

Ohio
I've been told by several self-proclaimed "lazy" people that if I want to know the easiest way to do something, just ask them. I seem to be cursed to do everything the hard way, so the notion is completely lost on me. nice work, Brock. every pea-brained thunder chicken in the county will surely make their way over to your blind to parade around on that finely manicured turf. hardly seems fair. :D

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Admittedly, I’ve become a lazy turkey hunter the last two seasons. However, at least for now, I have no interest in blowing another turkey’s head to mush. With that being the case, I need the dang things close and locked on a decoy. That has yet to happen this season. Funny thing is it seems to be going on all over the turkeys range. I talked to Jay Greggory the other day about it. I’m certain you haven’t a clue who he is. He’s gained notoriety over the last couple decades via videos and a show on one of the outdoor channels. Anyway, I got to know him many years ago and I genuinely respect the man for the number of turkeys he’s killed with a bow. He said this looked like the first time in 40 years he won’t kill a single turkey! The dang things ain’t been acting right. I shouldn’t still be seeing hens on every hunt. If I can bend the rather poor odds in my favor by providing some fresh cut grass to strut in, count me in. 😁

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Jay Greggory is a name I havent heard for quite a long time. Last I saw of him he was divorced and had a new woman he hunted with.
I never cared for his show because of all the sponsorship crap. He would switch products year to year depending on who was paying. Well, that’s why I don’t watch any hunting shows now. Even THP is going down the rabbit hole. Their first 2 seasons were a much better product.
I waited for the rain to move out and jumped in the central box blind. One is lighting it up across the hollow.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
I started chasing turkeys with my dad in 2001. Neither of us had the slightest clue what we were doing, and we made about every mistake possible to turkey hunting. It wasn't until 2005 that I finally killed my first bird, a jake, in Highland county. Since that year I killed 2 birds every year that I can remember, mainly gobblers from 2006 to 2017. In 2018 I self limited myself to just one bird due to lack of sightings and reduced bird numbers. I still managed to kill one bird reactively easy each year, and I am sure I could have killed 2 most years still if I would have pursued them. The state should have already had the one bird limit in place around this time, but we have to remember that the state is all about "opportunity", even if its not good opportunity. This is the first year that I still haven't punched a turkey tag since I killed my first bird in 2005. I have worked a total of ONE gobbler, and that was an incredible hunt on opening weekend where I could have busted him, but thought I'd get an even better shot which obviously never came. Since that time the birds have either vacated, been killed or gone completely silent. This isn't just one property either, it's across several producers I have and know very well. Im sure I could probably kill one if I had more time or patience, but the older I get the less patience I have to hunt silent birds. Sitting in one spot for hours on end waiting on a bird to gobble just isn't my thing anymore. Seems I get less patient as I get older, maybe I just value my time more, idk. Or maybe I just remember how it use to be and get pissed its not that way anymore. There is also the factor that I do not feel like I NEED to kill a bird anymore, which probably takes some motivation away as well. Still, having opportunity would obviously be nice. Either way, with my schedule this year its looking like its going to be the worst turkey season ever, and thats sad to say about my absolute favorite thing in the world to hunt. I'm not sure id want to kill one right now if it spurred me in the face. Its just sad. I really hope we can right the ship on this one, and quickly. But experience robs me of hope that it will be quick or simple.

Last edited:

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I was reading lonewolfs post and looked up and this guy was entering the orchard plot with a hen. He was strutting behind her about 15 yards. She actually saw me poke the gun out the window and panicked slightly. He gobbled when she got excited. Only time he ever said anything. He stayed in strut as she was walking off. I had to wait for him to clear an apple tree before I could shoot. I am not a patient man. But I’m very persistent.
B43F413C-A580-4CF4-AEE3-6C7F11CFBC77.jpeg
3EAEDB89-ADED-4B3F-AB8E-C34FBD90F046.jpeg

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Well
I was reading lonewolfs post and looked up and this guy was entering the orchard plot with a hen. He was strutting behind her about 15 yards. She actually saw me poke the gun out the window and panicked slightly. He gobbled when she got excited. Only time he ever said anything. He stayed in strut as she was walking off. I had to wait for him to clear an apple tree before I could shoot. I am not a patient man. But I’m very persistent.
View attachment 152168View attachment 152169
Well deserved too! Congrats.