Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vacation ideas

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
My wife and I are kicking around vacation ideas out west. Right now a return trip to RMNP is at the top of the list but we are researching other ideas: Glacier, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone……. I’m looking for experiences from these or ideas for something different. My wife’s knees won’t allow for much hiking. I’m good with remote, she is not. She needs food and other entertainment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stressless

Clay Showalter

Southern member northern landowner
Guilford County
Yellowstone and Grand Tetons are great and she can see most of it without any major hiking. I would recommend going in early June, as it gets busier as the summer goes on. We rented an RV and camped in Yellowstone, and if you get going at dawn you will more than likely see lots of wildlife. I would allow at least 3-4 days to see all of Yellowstone.

I would plan a trip up north through Lamar Valley to the NE entrance and check out Silver Gate and Cooke City, really cool little towns. Beartooth Highway is an awesome drive with great views.

Cody, WY has a nightly rodeo, great food and the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, a museum with a huge gun collection.

Out the West gate to Yellowstone is Johnny Sack's Cabin, a neat cabin at the start of the Henry’s Fork River, which is a huge spring.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Guess I should have stated we will be going the first week of September. I loved RMNP a few years ago and am perfectly fine with going back. I have been to Yellowstone twice….. in the mid 80s.

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
Head to Colorado Springs. Visit Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, and take a short drive to Royal Gorge Bridge Park. Lots of other tourist stuff to see around there. This could be combined with a visit to RMNP, with Denver in between them. So could spend a day in there if desired. Denver has an awesome water park called Water World that even my old self enjoyed with the kids.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
Head to Colorado Springs. Visit Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, and take a short drive to Royal Gorge Bridge Park. Lots of other tourist stuff to see around there. This could be combined with a visit to RMNP, with Denver in between them. So could spend a day in there if desired. Denver has an awesome water park called Water World that even my old self enjoyed with the kids.
That’s basically the trip we did a few years ago. Garden of the Gods was really cool. I didn’t care for Pikes peak. Too many tourists. Saw this Muley in Colorado Springs.
B081625D-1BE3-4FD2-B94C-1B2EDF7805BA.jpeg

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Out West id recommend Arches NP, Brice Canyon and Zion. Theres tons of options you can make a week out of and mini road trip.

I go to the East coast now and we stay an entire week on Ocracoke Island, NC. The wives love it and so do I. Some incredible memories there.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Well I mentioned Maine and she took a liking to it so it looks like we are headed northeast. For less than the cost of rental car we can drive there and back even with higher gas prices and also save on plane tickets. Plus we can hit Niagara Falls, Vermont and New Hampshirite too. Anyone have must see destinations in those states?
Excellent choice! It is arguably the most beautiful state east of the Mississippi. Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, and Camden make the short list. Portland is a great foodie town if restaurants are your thing. They also probably have more craft breweries per capita than anywhere I’ve been. Lots of history there, too. Take a tour of Casco Bay. Hit as many lighthouses as you can. They’re all different. Take in as much of the rugged coastline as you can as well. Camden is an absolutely beautiful quintessential New England harbor town. You can easily spend a day there just strolling the streets, hitting the shops, eating and walking around the harbor. Acadia is just as impressive as many of the national parks out west and spills into the Atlantic. Do a couple hikes and take in the views. Whatever you decide to do while you’re there, I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Enjoy!