Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Venison breakfast sausage recipe

Matt

Norton, OH
I made up about 20 pounds of this recipe this season. I've tried a few and it is by far my favorite. Stolen from an Alton Brown recipe for pork breakfast sausage.

Ingredients
5 lbs ground venison (I use about an 80/20 mix of venison to pork trim, you can choose your own liking.)
4 teaspoons kosher salt
4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage leaves
4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
2 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (opt)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (opt)

The cayenne and red pepper are optional, but make a spicier sausage. To mix I use a meat tub and poke holes through the meat with my finger, then mix the spices in water and blend into the meat by hand. I have stuffed in casings in the past, but this year I just packaged it in half pound bags. It's perfect portioning for two meals for my girlfriend and I.

Preferred method of cooking: mixed in a breakfast scramble of eggs, sausage, baby Bella mushrooms, topped with some fresh salsa. Delicious!

20190202_091604.jpg

Jamie

Ohio
I loves me some breakfast sausage, but I stopped wasting my venison in breakfast sausage years ago. pork shoulder is just plain better for breakfast sausage, imo. summer sausage is another matter...

Matt

Norton, OH
I loves me some breakfast sausage, but I stopped wasting my venison in breakfast sausage years ago. pork shoulder is just plain better for breakfast sausage, imo. summer sausage is another matter...

I don't make sausages unless I get a second deer. This year I got two in one day on the Sunday of gun week, so I made up the 20 of breakfast along with 20 of Italian sausage. Everything else I make into butterfly steaks, roasts, aan plain ground. I'm headed out this afternoon, if I connect with one, it will be mostly jerky, snack sticks, and other types of sausages. 2 deer and about 70 pounds of salmon is enough to last the year, and we don't buy any store meat unless we want chicken.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I don't make sausages unless I get a second deer. This year I got two in one day on the Sunday of gun week, so I made up the 20 of breakfast along with 20 of Italian sausage. Everything else I make into butterfly steaks, roasts, aan plain ground. I'm headed out this afternoon, if I connect with one, it will be mostly jerky, snack sticks, and other types of sausages. 2 deer and about 70 pounds of salmon is enough to last the year, and we don't buy any store meat unless we want chicken.

Yes sir! 2-3 deer a year and a 1/4 of beef keeps the meat locker just right for a family of 5.

Thanks for sharing the recipe on the sausage, might have to give it a try

Reactions: Matt