Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Venison Melts

badger

*Supporting Member*
Here's a twist on cooking deer meat. This is similar to a philly beef steak. I start with a chunk of boneless hind quarter that is about half froze. With a good sharp knife, you can cut some real thin and uniform slices with the half frozen meat. The meat is marinaded overnight in the fridge. This batch ended up marinading two nights. Next I brown the meat, and then put it and the juice in the slow cooker for 4-6 hrs.
I'm not a baker, so my wife bakes the bread for this. Slice the bread, and butter one side and place on a hot cast iron griddle. Then I put a layer of mozzarella and provolone, a layer of meat, and another layer of cheese, and cap it with the other piece of bread. I feel this old cast iron griddle is the only way to grill a sandwich. Flipping this thing takes a little practice. Feel free to add grilled onions and shrooms.

Add some home cut fries, and a bowl of juice from the slow cooker for dipping the sandwich! This is quite a belly stuffer.
There's quite a few pics here, so I used click able thumbnails to speed things up.

Try it, I think you will like it. :smiley_adfundum:

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Damn Badge, you are making me hungry! I make deer Phillys as well. I marinade thinly sliced loin in A1 Steakhouse marinade, then fry with onions, red and yellow bell peppers. Add some cheese and chow down. I love deer camp cause it gives me an excuse to cook!

Matt

Norton, OH
Did up my own variation tonight for dinner. I have a meat slicer, which makes cutting the strips pretty easy. Anyways, I marinated with italian dressing and worchestershire sauce, which is my favorite combination. Sauteed the mushrooms and onions in butter, removed, cooked meat, returned mushrooms and onions, flat-griddle toasted some sub buns with butter, little mayo, slice of swiss, all washed down with a Sam Adam's Octoberfest. I must say, I ate good this weekend!