Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Vertical mock scrapes.

This last year I started a couple of other scrapes by hanging both heavy cotton rope and grape vines just to see if deer would frequent them at all. I was surprised by the results and both locations seemed to get a lot of action, sometimes from bucks and does. These pics are of the rope I hung on the left side of the frame.

1596823164278.jpeg

1596823209778.jpeg

1596823359348.jpeg

1596823575727.jpeg

1596823756386.jpeg

1596824238553.jpeg

Steelheadtracker

I will most likely check on it tomorrow to make sure that 550 cord is holding up. I need to check the stand by it to make sure straps and stuff are good and clear some down limbs and trees on the path I take to it. So figure while I am out there may as well check it.

Reactions: Big_Holla

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well, I finally am getting into the add some things too help steer the deer my way mentality. Going too give this a whirl. I usually just hunt the sign I see but am trying something a little different this season.
Any updates from 2 years ago when this was discussed?

If you hang it they will come. I really feel that way for the most part. Sturgis's latest recommendation for using a longer grape vine (tied up higher) that isn't too big (between 3/4" - 1 1/4" in dia.) seems spot on I think as I have changed out a few vines already this year and had good results. Does mostly seem to visit those scrape locations so far, although we have a small buck that will spend hours playing with one. I've got several more to install yet and a few to replace as well. I do think the key is to have the bottom around 36" off the ground so the fawns and small does can easily get to them and cover them in scent, bucks will rub their faces and neck all over them at that height too. As leaves drop and fall gets here they usually will raise up a good amount if hanging from branches. I do think white oak branches work better than vines when it comes to mock scrapes. Only problem is finding enough year after year to prune down to use gets difficult as you really need to replace them every year.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
You’re overthinking it in my opinion. Tie a stick, tie a vine, break a branch over… whatever. Take a piss in the freshly scoured dirt and walk away. I’ve been doing mock scrapes for years and I’ve never seen any particular method or “strategy” make a big difference. What does make all the difference is LOCATION. Over the past couple years I’ve noticed mock scrapes getting more and more attention… and now you have every different hunting “celebrity” pushing their own method for the sake of street-cred and clicks and “likes.” Deer aren’t that picky. Give them something to rub their face on, above some dirt you just turned over, and they’re gonna use it if they cross paths with it.