Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Walk in cooler

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Anyone have one?
Build it out bought it?
Coolbot or other system?

I'm looking to build one (almost half the cost) next year after our house is built. Unless i find a good deal on one at an auction. Will probably go coolbot.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I only see the need for a walk in cooler if you’re planning on hanging 3 or more deer at once, or large quantities of fruit, etc.

For 1 or 2 deer at a time, an old garage refrigerator is hard to beat. I installed stainless steel closet rods and implemented stainless steel butcher hooks in mine… I can skin and quarter two deer and hang the meat inside the refrigerator no problem. And in the off-season it’s still used for beverages or keeping minnows cool, or whatever. More versatile and economical than a walk-in imo.

If you’re set on building a walk-in, yes the coolbot systems work great.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I only see the need for a walk in cooler if you’re planning on hanging 3 or more deer at once, or large quantities of fruit, etc.

For 1 or 2 deer at a time, an old garage refrigerator is hard to beat. I installed stainless steel closet rods and implemented stainless steel butcher hooks in mine… I can skin and quarter two deer and hang the meat inside the refrigerator no problem. And in the off-season it’s still used for beverages or keeping minnows cool, or whatever. More versatile and economical than a walk-in imo.

If you’re set on building a walk-in, yes the coolbot systems work great.
We routinely have 6-12+ hanging by the end of gun week.

Plus for ease dosing the warm bow season months. And for my occasional hog butchering.

Years ago I ran across plans a guy had for building one that basically was a box with insulated walls, plastic wall coverings and a window air conditioner for the 'cooling unit'. Was for a couple deer, maybe 8 x 8 in size.
I have put 2 together now. Booth reefer trucks with the coolbot/LG air-conditioner set up. Both have done good keeping under 40 degrees even during the Georgia heat in bow season.

Bighoun52

In the woods
We bought one a while back, and is used year round. I think it’s 4x8 and 6 foot tall. We have up to 10 deer in it at a time. Jammed packed!! They only think I would change is the height. I would go 8 foot ceiling.