Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weekend No. 2 - October 1st and 2nd...

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
not sure yet. I figure i have at least 3 maybe 4 options for a westerly wind. There is a small piece of property that redcloud and I picked up over the summer that a west wind might work for. problem is niether of us has been in there in months, finding a tree for a climber in the dark would be difficult. I am considering sitting the morning in the blind i moved on monday, and maybe going over to the other spot in the afternoon when I have more of a chance to set up a climbing stand unnoticed.

A west wind would work for the stand adam killed his buck out of the other day, but I have a hunch its a little to soon to sit that stand again.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
not sure yet. I figure i have at least 3 maybe 4 options for a westerly wind. There is a small piece of property that redcloud and I picked up over the summer that a west wind might work for. problem is niether of us has been in there in months, finding a tree for a climber in the dark would be difficult. I am considering sitting the morning in the blind i moved on monday, and maybe going over to the other spot in the afternoon when I have more of a chance to set up a climbing stand unnoticed.

A west wind would work for the stand adam killed his buck out of the other day, but I have a hunch its a little to soon to sit that stand again.

I would venture to guess with all the rain we have had has washed all the scent out of there. I bet you would do good there in the evening. We can go check the cam late morning early afternoon but I say they are right back to there same ol pattern.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
After talking with Joe tonight, I might revamp my plan for the weekend. It's super tight on the ridge and with the rain making the leaves wet and a strong wind, it will be close quarters combat on that ridge. It's like getting sent to the plate with a full count, two outs, in the bottom of the ninth and I haven't swung a bat since spring training. It's just not the "perfect" time to be there. I might be misplaying this whole hunt, but I truly believe my time will come in a few weeks and now is not the time to push it. I'm checking my cam at 4PM tomorrow and that will decide what I do more than weather. But unless he has been consistent, I'll back off the killing set and sit an observation stand I plan to hang tomorrow when I go in to check the camera. There is no doubt aggression has cost me deer in the past and I'll be damned if it will do that this year. I'd rather error on the side of caution than go back to my old ways. He'll move in late October, broken points or other farms be damned. I'm playing this one super conservative...

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I can't blame you at all Jesse. Moe didn't get that old and that big by being stupid. He has been around the block a time or two and with the high wind gusts this weekend it might not be the best time to play on the edge. I would wait and play it safe and just wait for that one perfect day to slip in there and hammer him.

I'm probably not helping any by telling ya to go get him all the time. I'm just excited and want you to connect with him and put him down. That day will come when it comes. Don't push it and just hold back until that perfect day. I can wait and I'm sure the rest of the guys will say the same.

twireman

Kingston, OH
I'll be watching the weather today. Too early for me to sit in a tree with 20mph winds and rain. I'll do that in November but not now. Lot's of time boys. Don't overdue it!! Looks like Sunday will be ok for now.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
As badly as I want to get out this evening, I'm gonna pull back and wait some. Looks like rain & pretty windy tonight. Tomorrow morning looks to be the same, but Ohio weather tends to change so I'll be keeping an eye on things. Sunday afternoon??

Ohiobowhunter1

Columbus
Gotta work today then head to my Sons Varsity game tonight, he also splits time on JV being a Sophmore and all. So that rules out Saturday morning hunt. Looks like Sunday will be my only day to get out but temps in the AM have me pumped for some serious movement. Good luck to everyone heading out and be safe!

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Awesome weather out this morning...I almost skipped work....If I didnt have a trip to Sandridge and my 4 day weekend hunt on halloween wekend planned I would have taken off.....bu that is going to burn up the rest of my vac. days this year....

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I am only gonna hunt Saturday nite and Sunday due to family obligations . Hunted a new farm last nite and coulda shot a decent ten point and a dink . That place was tore up with rubs and there were several scrapes already

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
JJesse, I wouldn't write off a up close hunt due to wind and rain. Sure, it deadens his approach but it also lets you slip in and get away with more. I see alot of my bigger deer under what would be considered windy and less than ideal conditions . You know the situation better than anyone tho. Good luck.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
JJesse, I wouldn't write off a up close hunt due to wind and rain. Sure, it deadens his approach but it also lets you slip in and get away with more. I see alot of my bigger deer under what would be considered windy and less than ideal conditions . You know the situation better than anyone tho. Good luck.

That's kind of what I was thinking, too. I can certainly understand why you'd want to play conservatively against Moe, but I guess I'm just not understanding how the wind and rain puts the odds in HIS favor... Maybe I'm way wrong here, but I would think it would only be to your advantage to hunt him in those conditions. With the wind blowing and the rain hitting the trees and ground, you could enter and exit virtually undetected. Plus the wind direction is exactly what you're looking for right? Maybe a little strong, but it'd probably be consistent. I'm not trying to doubt your tactics or say you're playing this wrong, buddy... just trying to understand your approach a little bit better. I don't know about SE Ohio, but I saw that Sunday was supposed to be decent up here, weather-wise. Maybe that could be the day...

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
They keep changing the forecast and adding more rain. I don't have a blind so I may wait until Sunday. It's still early..........

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
He's not moving much right now anyways. Checked the cams and hung a new stand tonight. No pics of him in the last week, but I had a camera issue. I used tonight as scouting night. The conditions were perfect for it.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Umm. . . I have hunted the last 6 days straight. Got back in town this afternoon and have been playing catch up with work and family. Should already be out of town right now, but I am sleeping in my own bed for the first time since last Thursday and heading out in the morning to work the weekend. Wish I could hunt one of my local farms this weekend, but you have to work and see your family sometimes. lol