Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Weird Sound

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Early both mornings this past weekend, I heard a strange sound. The best way I could describe it would be an impact driver, the kind used to remove yer lug nuts. It was damn loud and too early to be someone working on something. Any ideas?

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
a feeder will echo through the morning woods like crazy and it kind of sounds like that....I had one scare the crap out of me one morning. I almost left it freaked me out so bad

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I was thinking a wood pecker, Gern, but it was so fast and mechanical sounding. Baiting is baiting, RG. They don't want the deer congregating in groups like they do over bait/feed.
The ban applies equally to feeding for recreational viewing as well as hunting. An NRC action on October 10, 2008 made the ban permanent.

epe

Lancaster
They don't want you speeding either but people still do it. Speaking of weird sounds, we have had grouse drumming in the mornings down there. Been a long time for that.

sent from my HTC evo

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
It happened around 6:30 am and occurred 4 or 5 times each morning. I listened the Grouse drumming online and it's not that sound.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
OK, it's gotta be a wood pecker drumming on metal. Lots of videos on youtube of this.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I don't know if they are prevalent in Michigan or not, but Pileated woodpeckers can be pretty damn loud sometimes. Those things are huge... like taradactal huge.

Buckmaster

Portage
OK, it's gotta be a wood pecker drumming on metal. Lots of videos on youtube of this.

I would say that the ticket.

I've had one beating on my satalite dish on my rooftop for the past couple of years.
It only happens in the Spring just after daylight. Talk about a wake up call.
When that pecker is not at my house he likes the neighbor's stainless steel woodburning chimney pipe.
At least I'm not the only one on my street waken up early.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I would say that the ticket.

I've had one beating on my satalite dish on my rooftop for the past couple of years.
It only happens in the Spring just after daylight. Talk about a wake up call.
When that pecker is not at my house he likes the neighbor's stainless steel woodburning chimney pipe.
At least I'm not the only one on my street waken up early.

Sounds like the first sign of a dying bird if you ask me.