Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Well what do we have here?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
B12F0650-C988-4FE2-964A-CAE8394540B6.jpeg

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I'll get it over with. A totally epic hunt with Greyson tonight. We sat on the ground together tonight behind my buddy's house. Really not being particular about what he shot. As soon as we sat we had a injured doe out in front of us with a bum front leg. I think she saw heard all the racket we made getting set up. She moved off slowly. We sat uncomfortably, him in front of me between my legs. We readjusted quite a few times, making noise. Just before 6 I just readjusted again, making noise, and Grey says, " there's a deer, I think a buck". I did see him stop. I got the binoculars on him and he was locked right on us. At this point he's roughly 100 yards away. We had a 5 minute stare down and then he just slowly twitches his tail and starts angling toward us. I ranged the trail earlier at 32 yards. I stopped him broadside and told greyson the 2nd crosshairs. When he shot, the deer spun into the bolt. I wasn't sure if it was a neck or shoulder shot, but I seen him run off around 100 yards and stop in around a little thicket area. I heard some rustling but wasn't sure exactly what was happening. So we were pretty excited but I told him we'd wait a bit then sneak over to see what the impact area looked like. So we're sitting there, and from the other direction I hear deer coming. I assumed it was the gimpy doe from earlier. I cooked the bow and put another arrow in. She walked off to my right then faced quartering toward me hard. I slid it in right in front of the shoulder and heard her die within 100 yards. So we decided to sneak down there. Found her quickly and filled out my tag and drug her out of woods. Went back to our spot and it started pouring down. I realized somewhere along the line I lost my headlamp. Couldn't find it, so we started tracking the buck with my phone. Had good blood. Found him alive about last spot I seen him run off to. Jumped him up from there and he went crashing away. Waited a bit and called my buddy to bring a light and truck. Took a few more steps and jumped him again. So then we just waited in the dark. Greyson was so upset he got half sick, mostly cuz of the dark, lol. Eventually my buddy got there with a light and we found him dead about 30 yards away. He spun into the arrow. Taking a throat shot. Surprised he lasted that long. But really a great 9 point and a crazy double up for us.
IMG_9939.jpg20221030_192535.jpg