Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Whales, dolphins and sand tiger sharks in the Delaware bay.

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
Its just a bigger walleye...grab ahold and give it a good pop. They have grabbers too, but I’ve never used them. I’ve also never caught a shark over 5’-6’. Im sure I’d give a great White the rod and everything. “Take it buddy, I’m out”

Fletch

Supporting Member
I've had Mako steaks and thought they were very good... As many times as I've been fishing in the ocean, I've only caught plain old sand sharks, which are harmless.... I did do an overnight tuna trip out to the Hudson Canyon for tuna and caught a 175 lb. swordfish.... Damn that fish went fast everyone wanted swordfish steaks.... I'll say that fish fought like hell on stand up tackle.....

"J"

Dustin’s FORMER fishing coach
Supporting Member
Davie County, NC
I've had Mako steaks and thought they were very good... As many times as I've been fishing in the ocean, I've only caught plain old sand sharks, which are harmless.... I did do an overnight tuna trip out to the Hudson Canyon for tuna and caught a 175 lb. swordfish.... Damn that fish went fast everyone wanted swordfish steaks.... I'll say that fish fought like hell on stand up tackle.....
Faster than bear steaks?

Fletch

Supporting Member
"J".... Yup, they went faster than bear steaks, although last year's bear was all gone last month... Gotta say I'm not a big fish eater, but those swordfish steaks grilled were great...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Yup, they usually cut the line. Too risky to try and use a hook remover. Most sharks are protected and it’s supposed to be released immediately without taking them out of the water. Mako is about the only shark people keep.
Back in the day I lived in Florida, we ate a lot of black tip sharks.

giles

Supporting Member
In a bar
Most sharks are. I’ve also popped a few out using a gaff. Scariest part is waiting for your buddy to grab ahold of you barking like a dog...that gets me every time! 😂 I’m sure I look like this when it happens.
0443EB7A-5A7B-4806-BB52-961D25CA5C7F.gif

giles

Supporting Member
In a bar
watching shark week...people need to do a better job at taking hooks out of sharks. Wtf “sportsman”

Yeah, I know...my inner hippie is showing again.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Most sharks are. I’ve also popped a few out using a gaff. Scariest part is waiting for your buddy to grab ahold of you barking like a dog...that gets me every time! 😂 I’m sure I look like this when it happens.
View attachment 83321
Or this Dave. Lol

Attachments