Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What a difference a year makes!!!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
I haven't been to the spot I call "Paradise" since Tracie's close encounter on opening morning. Like clockwork, I caught wind of a "big one" from the neighbor last week. For more than a decade, he's told me about the big deer he sees back there. He actually hunts with my first bow! I trust his judgment, so I walked back there tonight to check things out.

I was floored when I saw the food plot! Last year, they didn't touch it until gun season. It looked like it had been freshly mowed tonight!!! The oaks around it are raining acorns into the plot and a once dormant trail, looks like a cattle trail!!!

It takes acorns to draw deer into this spot these days and boy is it working this year! I found some big tracks near the creek that were "big one" worthy. I can't wait to get out there for a hunt now! I guess taking a two week break in October ain't a bad idea after all!!!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
It's funny how much of a difference the acorns have made in the traffice in and around this area. Back in the good old days, there was plenty of bedding to the east of this set-up to keep deer in the area. These days, there is little to, no bedding to the east. There was also a great bedding area to the south that has since been ransacked as well. We still have some bedding to the north that helps pull deer our way, but they don't have to navigate through this bottom to get there if they don't want to. Having a bumper crop of acorns gives them a reason to filter through here. I am slowly changing my focus from managing for trophy bucks, to managing for trophy does! I'm hoping this spot will keep the does close and as the bucks begin to prowl for available ladies, I'll be in their way!

I plan to sit this spot at some point this weekend depsite the weather not being up to par. I need to get on the board pretty soon, so any mature doe within range of me in the next three days is in trouble...