Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What did you learn?

Diablo54

Outside
What did you learn in the whitetail world this year?

I learned that hunting can be really fun after you have filled your buck tag because your worry free.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Don't shoot a buck 30 seconds after waking up. Always get your head about you and put some glass on it before you shoot if it's not a no brainer. But once you screw up like I did, I agree with what you posted. I had a lot of fun this year after tagging out...

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Dont pass up does just because you are hoping there is goingto be a buck somewhere behind them or around them. Oh, and missing a perfect easy ship shot suuuuucckkksss!!!

I will never let myself have a season like I did this year....All self induced

rrr

I have bad bow karma. And there's nothing like bow hunting, especially hunting natural movement.

(I really couldn't sum up everything I've learned since May when I drew back my first bow....there's a ton!)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I found out i can sneak up on deer...
I found out i can't compromise on "adequate" gear...
I found out I can't stick to a plan....
I found out how poorly my early season work effects me..
I found out I'm to fat to have any real fun deer hunting..
I found out I have more fun when I take a kid with me....
I found out I know more than I think about deer.....

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
What did you learn in the whitetail world this year?

I learned that hunting can be really fun after you have filled your buck tag because your worry free.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

ABSOLUTELY AGREED!

I found out i can sneak up on deer...
I found out i can't compromise on "adequate" gear...
I found out I can't stick to a plan....
I found out how poorly my early season work effects me..
I found out I'm to fat to have any real fun deer hunting..
I found out I have more fun when I take a kid with me....
I found out I know more than I think about deer.....

I'm having a good season and learning more every time out.
I learned that once the rut hits patterns are out the window....
I learned hunting in snow is fun....
I now change socks when I get to the stand in cold weather....
I learned I need an ATV to haul my fat ass around....

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Shooting a compound is fun.
Don't be afraid to scout and hunt the same day.
Always take a friend hunting, it's much easier to drag a deer with 2 people.:smiley_coolpeace:

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Learned how to kill a deer, track it, gut it and drag it out of the woods.
I also learned to stick it out until the last minute of legal time no matter what is going on before that time.

I did not learn this:
Always take a friend hunting, it's much easier to drag a deer with 2 people.:smiley_coolpeace:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I learned there is a place for mobile stands, and there are a few places a permanent mounted fixed stand would be king. This also means i learned I am not very efficient or quiet when using mobile stands. lol

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I have learned not to take the time I get in the woods for granted. All the years past, ( and I maen since the 1970's) I have pretty much had what ever time I wanted to hunt. My job and family allowed it.
Now, I have very little time to go due to the work I do now. I have lost 75-80% of my hunting time in the woods... Suck on it boys. Savor each trip. Take pictures and not just of the kills. Take pictures of the little things TOO.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
That I need to find that "drive" again. I have been so down on other crap dealing with hunting deer that it has become hard to enjoy it.

Beentown

huntn2

Hudson, OH
I need to move...it sucks driving 50 miles each way for each hunt! I enjoy spending time in the woods TOO much to be limited to weekend warrior hunting.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There's a hell of a lot of poaching going on...
...and the crazy thing is! The high restitution fines were suppose to help deter such activity. WTF!!! Seems the poaching prob is still here and won't be going away anytime soon! This pisses me off!

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Looking back over this season I would have to say I learned I screwed up BAD lol.

I got stuck thinking one dimensional and when I finally pulled my head out of my ass and figured it out it was TOO late and tried to over correct and screwed myself up in the end.

This next season will find me staying on my toes, watching, and waiting for the signs to change so that I can stay right there with it :D.