Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you do to prepare

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I did get spunky today in between rains. Swapped a hang on stand. Added another section to put it 3-5' higher. Trimmed lanes. Used factory strap. Was going to reuse my secondary strap (I always double strap them) and it broke. Check your straps all. I get it this was used and a back up strap. Sure was an eye opener though. I was in my harness and strapped to the tree but I really don't want to test my harness 20-22' up.

Swapped the card nearby on my way out. Second card in a row I have had which has failed to read on the computer. Two different properties. Two different cameras. Tried on two different computers. Weird. Wondering if my cards are getting old? Maybe I have reformatted too many times? I format each card pull since they go into different cameras. I don't know. Weird. What's the chances 2 computers would have card readers fail? I even took the first card to Rite Aid to see if their photo thing would read it. It didn't.

Reactions: Boarhead

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Due to the rain lately, I haven't been shooting daily like I have been, but

earlier this afternoon I went ahead and swapped out my old bow ‘Whisker Biscuit’ arrow rest to a brand new one since I completely wore out the old one from all my previous practice sessions over the past month.

Just another thing that I do to get ready, that's going over my bow with a fine tooth comb.

Anyhow,

after I completed the installation, I went and shot my first five arrows from 20 yards.

After those five shots, I felt the need to make a minor adjustment to the rest, which I did, then I checked it again from the same yardage.

After shooting a super tight group from 20 yards, I then I stepped out to 75 yards.

From there I launched five more arrows targeting a Pepsi can.

My very first shot from 75 yards was perfectly on target and well within the Pepsi can logo (y)

The other four arrows were close considering the range.

For some reason, my phone died while trying to record that practice session, however I did manage to capture at least four of the five shots from 75 yards.

I located the camera within a foot from the target so you can view the arrows being launched from 75 yards away as they''re headed straight towards the Pepsi can and you - the viewer.

I also went ahead and took my 7-year-old Tru-Fire ‘Hurricane’ buckle release with a completely wore out buckle and swapped the release with my newer 1-year-old Tru-Fire defective ‘Hurricane’ buckle release.

By doing so, I was able to make one good Tru-Fire 'Hurricane' buckle release out of the two f'ed up ones that I had. Petty cool :cool:

Now I have a good backup bow release that will stay in my back pack just in case I forget/drop, and/or break my good one while in the field.

20180925_191649[1].jpg

IDK about you guys, but I have forgotten & dropped a bow release before in the past and it absolutely sucked each time it happened.

At moment,

I'm still debating whether to go ahead and harvest a good doe right off the bat this coming weekend or not.

I suppose I cross that bridge when I get there.

For those getting ready to hit the field this weekend,,,

Have a blast & best of luck to you!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Yesterday,

I hung my last tree stand for the new season.

360 degree tree stand view:
2018-09-26 17.32.57.jpg

High confidence that it’ll produce.

Ground view with two of the same photographs. The bottom one outlines the deer run, trail camera and tree stand:
2018-09-26 17.37.30.jpg

The last few seasons I’ve watched some real good bucks cruise through that area.

I finished up all my early season laundry. I hung them on the outside clothes line this morning.

I also just finished up my first bow practice session from 75 yards targeting a Pepsi can.

Confidence is at MAX LEVEL at this point with my bow shooting ability, just like I planned for.

My very first two shots we’re solid hits with the others very close from 75.

Today,

I’ll be hanging ‘Pine Licking Branches’ and setting up ‘Pine Rubbing Posts’ at two of my setups.

At two of my other setups, I’ll be making up ‘Mock Scrapes’.

Definitely looking forward to my first sit this Saturday (y)

Have great day 'TOOVILLE'!

Last edited:

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Afternoon TOOVILLE!

As I mentioned in yesterdays post,

I did hang two ‘Pine Licking Branches’ and set up one ‘Pine Rubbing Post’ at two of my setups.

2018-09-27 14.46.49.jpg

Then I made up a few more licking branches and set one 'Mock Scrape'.

20180927_161510.jpg

I also got in my final practice session with arrow target heads.

I finally got my 5 out of 5 arrows striking the intended target (Pepsi can) from 20 yards.

Later today, after I finish up possibly my last mow job at my place,

I'll be setting up & tuning five brand new arrows with brand new NAP 125 grain fixed three blade broad-heads.

After that,

I'll be shooting them at my target BLOCK from 30 yards.

I'll number them from best to worst, then set them in that order within my bow quiver, ready to go for tomorrows first hunt.

That's pretty much all I have left to do at this point.

In total, I have six hang on tree stands ready to go in place that will allow me to hunt for most any kind of wind condition that comes my way;
  1. Northern Stand
  2. Southern Stand
  3. Western Stand
  4. Eastern Stand
  5. Northern CRP Stand
  6. Southern CRP Stand
All of them have excellent deer activity in and around them.

I still have available and ready to use at any given time;
  1. one ladder stand
  2. one pop-ground blind
  3. one climber
At some point, based on what I have observed over my first couple of weeks of hunting, I may go ahead use them, but we'll see.

I hope many of you enjoyed my sharing in getting prepped for the new 2018-2019 Whitetail Deer Season.

I also appreciate those that shared and participated as well in this thread with excellent content.

Thank you to the ones that offered up kind comments & likes TOO!

I wish everyone here at 'TOOVILLE' the very best of luck this season.

May you all have a blast and be safe out there (y)

Reactions: Isaacorps