Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What do you guys think?.... I am thinking dog just be cause of the size of it.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio

Found this in the mud by a creek near a huge brush pile. At first I thought yote! but after I looked at it and realized how big it was, I should of put my hand up to reference it. But this is with my phone and I am only slightly bent over to take the pic. It just seems too dang big for a yote. And I am not sure if it's pointed enough for a yote.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hard to say. It is a pretty round track. I'm leaning more towards a big dog. Take more pictures of different tracks next time. Tracking is info gathered from many tracks. It's hard to tell usually from just one track. He could have taken a shorter step, rolled his ankle, or did something funky rather than just put his foot cleanly down. Hard to say man. But just looking at this one i would say a big dog.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
In the mud they always look bigger. Same with the snow. Step in snow, then a bit of snow around the edges melts away in the sun. You think you have a moose on the loose, but it is a button buck. lol

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
That's what I was thinking with it being so round. But it looks like it's coming out of brush pile the size of my house but I know it could be a dog just sniffing around the pile. But it's kinda cool to think it could be a big yote. This was taken along an abandoned over grown rail road track.

badger

*Supporting Member*
Hard to say. It is a pretty round track. I'm leaning more towards a big dog. Take more pictures of different tracks next time. Tracking is info gathered from many tracks. It's hard to tell usually from just one track. He could have taken a shorter step, rolled his ankle, or did something funky rather than just put his foot cleanly down. Hard to say man. But just looking at this one i would say a big dog.

I would say dog also based on this pic. Yotes have more of an oval track.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
It's a dog not a yote imo.

Look at the main foot pad. The middle point is to sharp and pointed to be a yote. A yote is more rounded instead of pointed like that one.

Here is a good pic for comparison.

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
It's a dog not a yote imo.

Look at the main foot pad. The middle point is to sharp and pointed to be a yote. A yote is more rounded instead of pointed like that one.

Here is a good pic for comparison.

It sure does match up.....Like I said I figured it was a dog track...but was hopeful I was wrong and it was a monster coyote

Tree Monkey

NW ohio
Hey now we are talking....there was a coy dog shot just north of my parents house couple years ago...I think it tipped the scales around 55lbs ....I just saw cell phone pics of it..but it looked dang big