Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What have I done?

Creamer

Athens

Reactions: brock ratcliff

Creamer

Athens
I didn't have long to shoot last night. Had a pretty rough group from 20 yards after a good first group. I took a sec to mentally cuss myself out for being stupid and not focusing, then finished strong.

Creamer

Athens
I made the rookie mistake of not checking my brace height often enough. The string had stretched quite a bit on me. My brace height had gone from 7 1/4" to just under 7". When I checked the specs that came with my bow, I realized that even 7 1/4" was under the suggested brace height for the bow. I twisted up the string and got the BH to right at 8" (suggested BH is 7 1/2"-8 1/4"). What a difference that made in the noise level of the shot. It's a much quieter bow to shoot now. And the change in BH didn't seem to hurt anything accuracy-wise.

Creamer

Athens
Doesn't look like much, but I was proud of this 40 yard group.

Played around with some quartering away shots on my 3D deer afterwards. The low right arrow may have been a tad back but I think it would have still been lethal.

Creamer

Athens
I picked up a 16-strand D97 string to replace the string on my bow and added a Hush Kit from Mountain Muffler Strings. Pretty easy install on the kit. I also ditched the metal nocking points and tied some on with serving, which was new to me. I dig the setup. I had been having issues with the calf hair silencing pads on my limbs coming loose and I like that the Hush Kit wrap just goes on the string instead.

Reactions: jagermeister

Creamer

Athens
If I told you this was the first try, I'd be a liar. Arrow #3, 40 yards.

This was my second set of arrows from 40. The first was actually better without the balloon and camera (of course). Never intend to shoot at a critter at this range but it's fun to arc them in.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Stupid question here: do you guys practice from elevated positions? Does it affect your point of impact? Also, good to know about the brace height problem...I am aware of it on my compound but never even thought about it on a recurve. I learned something today!😁

Creamer

Athens
Stupid question here: do you guys practice from elevated positions? Does it affect your point of impact? Also, good to know about the brace height problem...I am aware of it on my compound but never even thought about it on a recurve. I learned something today!😁

It's been on my mental to-do list for a few weeks to hang my stand in a tree in the yard so I can shoot a little from the stand but I have not done it yet. I'm planning to hunt some from my ground blind, which I also need to get ready/modified to allow me to shoot my longer recurve from it.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The aluminum adapters on those broadheads are the weak link,i switched mine to steel ones.
Then just went with the Woodmen elites all one piece steel aftercawhile,they spin great and fly great.
Playing around with some Simmons heads this Summer to see if i like em.