Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What have you done for Your lake

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Isn’t there a way you can put a sump pump in there to pump out the silt but have a way for the water to drain back in? Don’t know how expensive that would be but those dredges they have on the beach replenishment projects at the shore sure do move a lot of sand.

Dredging in a grid pattern off a barge is an option. Costly and you need lots of "up hill" land so water will drain back. Hauling it off the property opens up the government floodgates to soil tests bla bla bla… to go to a land fill. I'm not dumping toxic waste but my drain field I collect rain and other surface water is hundreds and hundreds surrounding farms, woods and country side. Lowering the lake and digging and pushing silt out seems to be cheaper route. I have often thought that a private sale of the diggings to a larger green house might make a few bucks to offset the cost of the project. The black muck most be incredibly rich. When the lake is dropped and bottom areas expose and dry, grass and weeds pop up and grow twice as fast and those on shore.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Would love to make it back up there and try to take my title back. I was handicapped by my boat captain lol.

OS Shoot 002.jpg

OS Shoot 007.jpg

This is what it takes to take away RedCloud's "Title"

OS Shoot 011.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Pick you equipment up...

Either in the late 20's or late 50's during work on the lake, someone hung a heavy chain over a limb and forgot about it.

In the years to follow, nature took its course. Sometime around 2004-5 the large old Red oak was hit by lighting eventually died.
In 2009 I was cutting the tree up for firewood and saw a spark while cutting. I stopped and checked I had bar oil and foolishly went back to cutting.
This time I really saw sparks and stopped. The blade trashed... Ya. I found your chain.
sep 09 ODC and ford 001.jpg
sep 09 ODC and ford 003.jpg

sep 09 ODC and ford 005.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
To close the history of that 150-180 year old tree.

For another period of years, it sat. That notched out piece of wood and chain a reminder of a moment a life time ago a man stood here and hung that chain in a limb...

My wife always bitched for a moment when we would walk down to the lake and hike our butts up on that big old tree trunk. It wasn't until 5 years later on an anniversary of her passing I decided to do something with the day instead of feel sad. After moving it with the big tractor to the other side of the path, I started.

P1050183.JPG

P1050184.JPG

P1050186.JPG

P1050194.JPG

1/2

Last edited: