Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What Is It?

I recieved a 20ga shotgun that was my grandfather's the other day. I had never seen it before and he it wasnt in good shape like any of his other firearms. My uncle says he found it was hiden with in arms reach in the hayloft of the barn loaded (probably for protection). Considering where it was stored all these years its in very good shape with just a little surface rust. My question is does any one know anything about it. The only markings on it are EXCEL on the left side of the receiver and the serial number on the pistol grip tang. From my little research it have found out that EXCEL was part of Iver Johnson but that is all I have been able to find.

Thanks.

rrr

I don't know but I want a little single shot 20 like that...bad. I just haven't found the right one, I've been carrying the cash to buy it for a couple months now.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Looks to me like a early 1920ish Iver Johnson. They made firearms for Sears, Montgomery Ward and other department stores. I believe the Excel is for MWards. Clean it, inspect it, then take her shooting.

The only thing to look for is a Damascus barrel. They are not safe to shoot. By looking at the photo you are good to go.

Damascus steel barrels can usually be recognized by visible (if the metal is bare) "twists" or striations.

Beentown