Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What I've waited for...

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
51 weeks out of the year I wait for this week of vacation to hunt the rut with my brothers on our family farm in Huron county. After getting up at 3 this morning, I am finally in the stand for the first hunt of the week. Life couldn't be sweeter. Here's my view. Wish us luck and good luck to all of my friends on TOO this week.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would have wished you the best of luck but as always I'm a little late lol. Your probably back to the house by now lol.

I hope you had a great hunt though :D.

Go get um !!!!!!

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
Update: 1hornwilly and I got skunke last night but our other brother saw 6 deer. No antlers. This morning I saw a doe booking it with a six on her tail at the same speed. My brother Isaac got a nice doe at 40 yards with a x-bow (his CP bow was shooting erratic before the trip and he didn't want to risk it. It is a piece of crap anyway). Quartering to shot down after 40 yards. Josh (1hornwilly) hung his millennium by a corn field where my other brother saw two good size bucks fighting this morning and about half a dozen other smaller deer. I am in a stand about 100 yards away from him. Should be fun to watch if he gets a shot on a deer. I guess that's only if I don't knock down a booner first. Sorry for all the boring details. I kinda want to be able to come back and read this during my 51 weeks of waiting next year.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Update: 1hornwilly and I got skunke last night but our other brother saw 6 deer. No antlers. This morning I saw a doe booking it with a six on her tail at the same speed. My brother Isaac got a nice doe at 40 yards with a x-bow (his CP bow was shooting erratic before the trip and he didn't want to risk it. It is a piece of crap anyway). Quartering to shot down after 40 yards. Josh (1hornwilly) hung his millennium by a corn field where my other brother saw two good size bucks fighting this morning and about half a dozen other smaller deer. I am in a stand about 100 yards away from him. Should be fun to watch if he gets a shot on a deer. I guess that's only if I don't knock down a booner first. Sorry for all the boring details. I kinda want to be able to come back and read this during my 51 weeks of waiting next year.

Don't be sorry fugger. That's what we are here for! Keep 'em coming. Some of us have some vicarious living to do!!!

deerburger

*Supporting Member*
Update:

Took me a second to get around to writing about how the week turned out. The day after my last post, I was sitting in a stand by a cut corn field at a good choke point where it comes up to a pond. Sat down at about 2 pm and didn't see a thing until 10 minutes before last shooting light. A doe wandered in and came to stand broadside at 25 yards.

Now, I have never taken a deer with my bow before. This is my second year hunting with it and my first year feeling accurate enough to justify taking a shot. That being said, I was really really focused as turned and drew back and then let fly about 2 inches behind the crease. Then there was a huge "CLANG!" that rang through the woods because the lower limb of my bow hit a rail on the stand as I shot. I knew that stole some kinetic energy, but I thought for sure I saw the arrow where I was aiming, or maybe a little back.

She jumped and ran 10 yards and then just stood there for about 4 seconds. Then she took off like a rocket out of sight. I'm embarrassed (and kind of proud) of how bad I got "doe fever" after she ran off. First bow kill, oh man. I was shaking like crazy and texted my brothers something like looked like "Shotr s doew!!! oyue bncg xjkl" They understood.

Here's where I am an idiot. I was so excited, and so sure I put a good double lung shot on her, that I insisted we start tracking her about 30-40 minutes after we got out of our trees. We had a good blood trail (it looked like lung blood I thought) and then lost it. I reluctantly went back to the cabin for us to track in the morning.

Next morning, we started where we left off and could find no more blood. After combing through tall stuff for another 30 minutes, I found new blood about 150 yards after the last spot. And there was a lot. And then it was less and the gone. And then another spot with a lot. I realize now that I think we were pushing her the night before. Errrgghhh....

My two brothers and I stood 6 yards apart and combed through a 20 yard strip of 7 foot tall grass for the entire quarter mile of it. Only cut cornfield and open woods on either side. Looked through them both all morning. Nothing. I am still so frustrated about 2 weeks later. About 11pm that night we heard a pack of yotes going crazy a long way off from the cabin in direction we'd been searching. I hope it was something else they found.

Anyway, all in all it was a good week. Nothing beats time with family in the woods. Best week of the year without a doubt. Just 50 weeks to go till next year.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Sorry you didn't find your doe DB. Hunting with a bow it is bound to happen sooner or later. Glad you had a great time with the family catching up with one another.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for sharing burger! Too bad on pushing her. Lesson to be learned (or reminded of) by us all in this story. Nothing wrong with posting our good moves and bad ones. I applaud you, congratulate you, and I will tell you I am sorry this is the way it worked out. What a rush though wasn't it?

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Nice recap DB! Thanks sucks that you lost the doe, but like hicks said, unfortunately it happens from time to time when you're hunting with a bow. Use it as a learning experience and motivation.

Nothing beats time in the woods, especially with family & friends. And as far as doe fever goes, I love it and embrace it. If that ever goes away I know it's time to take a look at myself in the mirror. Somehow I don't think that will ever go away though...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
There ain't NOTHING like spending time with friends and family around the deer camp for a week! The story telling around a fire with backstraps and beer aplenty is what it's all about. Plus kickin alittle ass at the euchre table. LOL. Sorry to hear about losing your doe DB, but it happens sometimes. Just use every detail of each experience as a lesson learned and you'll be fine. Glad you had fun with your family though and goodluck in your future hunts.