Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What kind of snake?

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
This was dead in my garage. I'm no snake expert. I see one, I go the other way.
What kind is it?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
No Mike, definitely not of the poisonous kind. I'm pretty sure it's a milksnake which are nice to have around actually to keep mice and rats away. I'm not 100% positive of my ID but at least 95%!

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Looks like one with a squashed head... It's an eastern milk snake. Non poisonous and harmless. Actually beneficial to have around.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not sure what happened to it's head. It was near the garage wall so it wasn't run over.

You'd be surprised how far a snakes nerves can move it after being ran over. lol. I cut a rattlers head off once, came back an hour later and it had moved like 20 yards. WTF.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
That's a corn snake, also called a chicken snake... Yall don't have those up here.

My hillbilly grandpa use to call them chicken snakes lol. They use to have some in his hen house from time to time. He would just move them off to the side and go about collecting eggs lol.

So I know it by both names lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Ya big Sissy...
See em all the time in the woods.

sent from my HTC evo

That's a garter snake.. They aint even got no teef... lmao.. They just gum ya if you really mess with them enough to make them bite. You dang near have to thump em in the nose to entice a strike.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Buddy of mine found one of these in his garage, we came up with and eastern milk snake as well. His grandma wouldn't let him kill it, sounds like that's good thing.

Personally, I'm a big pussy when it comes to spiders and snakes and not afraid to admit it. I find one of those at my house, it would be blown to several pieces! :smiley_coolpeace: