Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What to make of this buck?

P8riot

Carbon, In
I haven't checked my cams since mid-December. Just checked them today and saw this zombie.

The date was 12/19 so he should have had a rack. Looks like he never grew one from the year before. Just super old and he didn't grow a rack or CWD?

1000010724.jpg

Last edited:

P8riot

Carbon, In
One of the C's maybe got him. Car or Coyotes. I just couldn't wrap my head around the lack of a rack.

I read that really old bucks can lose their rack anytime after the rut. The rut starts around 11/9 here, so I suppose it checks out.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yeah he looks injured on his back. Likely full of infection judging by the hair loss.

Reagan

Milford, OH
A buck will shed antlers early if he is in poor health. Wounds from cars or hunters can cause it or rut exhaustion. I’ve seen skinny bucks accidentally shot as a doe during muzzy season. They had no body fat and no antlers.

Reactions: Gern186

P8riot

Carbon, In
Thanks guys! I was worried about CWD and being ground zero for it over here in Western IN! I got out late in the seasone here hunting so thankfully I didn't shoot him thinking he was a doe! I probably would have not wanted to eat him.