Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What was your deer killed with this year? Poll?

Crossbow or Compound/Traditional?

• Total voters

Hunter II

3 deer with a compound. Total blood trail less than 100 yards.
1 with 45acp. Bloodtrail 45 yrds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bowhunter57

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Just an FYI,

I recalled that deer archery harvests numbers surpassed gun, but I couldn't remember what year exactly so, I did a quick google search and this is what I came up with. The internet source link is at the bottom if anyone cares to read the entire article. I just breezed through it to confirm my recollection.

Ohio’s deer population is ‘just right’
By Barbara Mudrak - December 4, 2020

"Archery harvest

Since 2012, the archery harvest has surpassed the gun harvest. Peters said this has to do with a number of things, including hunters wishing to get out early, especially when bucks are running around during mating season. And for hunters getting on in years, being out on a 40-degree day has greater appeal than waiting for the 20-degree days that are more prevalent during gun season. But mostly it’s because hunters these days are more selective, he said.

Surveys indicate hunters are changing their techniques, sitting in tree stands or blinds rather than driving deer. The use of trail cameras allows them to pick their targets, and hunt when their odds are best. They also spend fewer days hunting."

Source: https://www.farmanddairy.com/news/it-takes-work-to-keep-deer-population-just-right/640699.html#:~:text=Since 2012, the archery harvest has surpassed the gun harvest.

And for good measure, I attached an ONDR article that stated when crossbows were legalized in Ohio, which was back in 1976.

Attachments

• 20200110_204150.jpg
    20200110_204150.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Amongst other things, I believe the most defining characteristic of a slob hunter is someone who is not efficient with their weapon which creates a greater likelihood of wounded, suffering animals.
This is a definite sore spot for me. Being "half ass" with any weapon choice pisses me off to no end. (n) Do it right or stay home on the couch! :mad:

Or the guy with zero scent control or care of wind direction.
I would say that not paying attention to wind direction and/or zero scent control falls under plain ole ignorance. :rolleyes: Anyone hunting anything bigger than a coon should know that wildlife animals use their nose to detect danger/food/mates.
A coyote can determine within 10 feet either way of where a sound is coming from at 100 yards....and that's just their hearing. Their sense of smell is approximately 7x better than ours.
Not paying attention to the wind direction while hunting is... "Stupid is as Stupid does".

Bowhunter57

Reactions: giles

tpierce

All 3 of mine were taken the 3rd day of gun with Marlin .44 mag. I hunted with crossbow all season, but couldn't close the deal in spite some close encounters (poor stand placement on hillside) All 3 taken within 1 hour, no tracking required.