Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What you do for work

Crappieking15

Earth
As much as I hate talking about work outside work this topic always sparks my interest... what do you do for for and your feelings about overtime..

Myself I’m a union iron worker and work alooottt of over time in the summer.. i like over time when I want it but sometimes it seems like it never goes away..

Reactions: Mike

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I’m retired, been since 2014. Was in the Air Force and federal service for 35 years as an aircraft mechanic/supervisor. Much like Rick stated, I knew when my start time was, just never sure about the quitting time. Usually it wasn’t bad but there were some of them days that you hated..... The deployments were where the O/T came into play. But you were away from home anyways and it didn’t much matter.... Now I create my own schedule and do what I please when I please 😂This is what you all have too look forward too and work too achieve....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I serve as the Executive Director of Workforce Development and Corporate Partnerships for our local community college. I'm a project manager by trade, with tons of experience in business development. My job is a 50/50 split of those two areas of operation, with some marketing mixed in, which is what I went to school for. I also sit on 3 Boards and Chair 2 committees outside of my "day job", so there's plenty of work being done for those roles, too.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I serve as the Executive Director of Workforce Development and Corporate Partnerships for our local community college. I'm a project manager by trade, with tons of experience in business development. My job is a 50/50 split of those two areas of operation, with some marketing mixed in, which is what I went to school for. I also sit on 3 Boards and Chair 2 committees outside of my "day job", so there's plenty of work being done for those roles, too.
Damn! You’re going to get 7 pensions!😂😂

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Damn! You’re going to get 7 pensions!😂😂

HA. I wish. But 24% of my salary into retirement isn't a bad deal. I never intended to end up in higher-ed, but my layoff from the oilfield in 2015 forced me to adapt and overcome. I was able to replace that salary and increase my retirement in education, plus I'm gaining a ton of valuable experience for the next leg of my career journey - entrepreneurship. I'm 18-months into my education career and have another 18-24 in me, but it's got it's perks that's for sure.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I'm a Manufacturing Engineer for an armoring company. I'm the lead ME for the Caterpillar military division. CAT 966, D7, 621 and 120. Hopefully D9 will be added to my workload soon. I am mainly responsible for the work instructions for all weld and assembly. I've been with this company for a total of 7 years so far and I love my job. I also write the work instructions for a couple of other "Behind the wall" top secret projects.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I work assembly at Whirlpool. My job is the equivalent to putting your kids Christmas presents together. A few screws shot here, snap a part together there, and voila, a dishwasher is born. I hate OT. My life and finances are scheduled around 40 hours. Here at the end of October and all through November, we basically are scheduled for every Saturday leading up to Black Friday. Sometimes they get canceled, but not til the day before. I think the uncertainty is what annoys me most

MoonLab

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads.
Supporting Member
Tooville
I'm a welder/fabricator/machinist. I have been welding for 20 years. I love it. I build frames and send it down to another building. They will have the frame painted, then install a motor, wiring, etc. We build alot of chambers (Thermal shock chamber,
H/AC Environmental Chamber, etc)
Freezer for food, chemical, hospital supplies, etc.
i love working overtime when i can. So that I can buy things and go on vacation. I love making it rain.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I work assembly at Whirlpool. My job is the equivalent to putting your kids Christmas presents together. A few screws shot here, snap a part together there, and voila, a dishwasher is born. I hate OT. My life and finances are scheduled around 40 hours. Here at the end of October and all through November, we basically are scheduled for every Saturday leading up to Black Friday. Sometimes they get canceled, but not til the day before. I think the uncertainty is what annoys me most
Whirlpool is great! Our washer and dryer are over 20 years old and only had to call a repairman twice...and the replacement parts were cheap.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I'm a welder/fabricator/machinist. I have been welding for 20 years. I love it. I build frames and send it down to another building. They will have the frame painted, then install a motor, wiring, etc. We build alot of chambers (Thermal shock chamber,
H/AC Environmental Chamber, etc)
Freezer for food, chemical, hospital supplies, etc.
i love working overtime when i can. So that I can buy things and go on vacation. I love making it rain.
A1F6F6F9-98F2-4640-8FE6-3DC40D95EA02.gif

Chass

The Hills
I work in IT for one of our great state agencies. So I'm one of those weird union workers that rarely gets to see OT. I'd love to have the opportunity as there is always stuff that needs done that everyone is ignoring. But as we all know and expect from the government, what we dont get done today.... will probably never ever get fkin done.