Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's going on?

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Where's everyone at in their season?

We still have a good bit of hunting left, but it always seems to get lost in the shuffle this time of year. I haven't hunted for myself since November 8th and I'm dying for some seat time. It may happen this weekend. Been focused on Tracie and running cameras more than anything and that's not likely to change until after muzzleloader. Right now, I have 5 cameras running with 4 being over corn. Corn costs are pushing $80 a week right now, but with muzzleloader coming up and three people coming down (Tucky, Ernie, and Matt) I need to keep the deer fed so they stay close to home. Next weekend will be the culmination of a great season, so I'm pretty pumped for what lies ahead. Hopefully, I have some good pics to share Friday!

Other than that, my freezer is completely full of deer with 200+ pounds of meat and two heads! I have another to pick up Friday that was done in snack stick and summer sausage. Time to get a bigger freezer!!!

Schu72

Streetsboro
My brother-in-law got a foxpro for christmas, so we will likely be doing some coyote hunting. But as far as deer hunting, I think I'm done for the year. Two archery doe and my buck. The freezer is jammed full and he have given away a good bit of meat as well. With the talk of the weather warming back up, Ive thought about getting my 7 year old, Ethan, back out . However, I don't think he has the arm length to shoot my muzzy and eventhough its scoped he has no experience with that gun. We'll see, but probably done.

rrr

Bow hunting a few spots around here and looking forward to hunting with Jesse, Matt, and Swantucky for ML - that's going to be a great weekend!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I think I will be focusing on coyotes. If I can get the muzzy scope mounted and dialed in I will be out for that as well. Otherwise, the deer are not being as predictable as I would have thought they would be. Many of our corn fields were tilled under. Deer patterns are not real conducive for bow hunting right now unless you are working a feeder. I am not.

Gordo

Athens County
I still have my buck tag burning a hole in my pocket.

I think my chances of nailing the buck ive been after are not looking so hot. I'm pretty sure he's bedded off the property I have permission to hunt and is only dropping in to grab a bite of corn in the middle of the night.

My focus is changing to a property closer to home after checking my camera today. There's a nice 10 that I'd be happy to put an arrow through If given the chance. I have no idea where this deer came from and just got my first pics of him. If I make the right adjustments hopefully i can seal the deal before he loses his head gear.

I'll probably do some freezer fillin with my dad this next weekened. My freezer is already empty from the does I shot, So i need to get me some more meats.

All in All its still been my greatest year of deer hunting yet, but it would be good to get my hands on some bone before its over.

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I havent been able to get out since gun, and I was barely out for that TOO. I told the wife I need to start hitting it hard again. Hopefully I can catch a buck that hasnt dropped yet. I am going to focus on the tree farm. I am going to put some corn out tonight or tomorrow and hang a stand.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I have shot enough deer this year already, so now it's time to focus on hunting coyotes (killed 2 more of them Friday) and doing some ice fishing on the pond with the kids. I also need to take down all my deer stands and get the trail cameras back up over some corn to check next years inventory......it won't be long and it will be time to start shed hunting.

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
Just ordered two Primos 60's this afternoon, so I'll have 7 cameras going full time by Friday. I'll have 5 running at the farm and 1 at my parents house that help me with my hunting. The 7th is the Live Cam behind our house and that's for pure entertainment!!! I'm hoping I know a thing or two about late season deer movement come muzzleloader!!!

formerbowhunter1023

Now Posts as Jesse..
SE Ohio
where did ya order those from 1023?

eBay. $137.95 a piece. (Retail $179.99) After reading all I could on Chasing Game and all the reviews on Cabelas/Bass Pro, it seemed like a no-brainer. I like the 35's pretty well, especially since I figured out they are a little picky on SD cards. (Run the San Disk 2GB's in them for best results.) Everything I have read indicates that Primos really nailed things with this Truth 60. I'm using the BEC's to do all the work as inventory cams. I want the 35's to be my "expendables" on properties I'm not sure about or set-ups at the farm that might be visible from property lines. I picked the 60's up to run in the core of the properties to monitoring trails. If I like them, I'll add 2-4 more before next fall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Primos-TRUT...784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f5fd5160

TripleA88

*Supporting Member*
I lost motivation to go after gun season. I still have a buck tag but my buddy, the land owners son has managed to have 8 (eight) fuck ups this deer season, part of those pertaining to 2 of the shooter bucks we had on the property. I ran 2 cams and recieved nothing but pictures of does the last two weeks. I'll go during muzzle loader, but Im thinking he blew my 15 point out along with another (wounded) 10 point.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I still have my buck tag left, but I'm starting to run pretty low on motivation right now. The gun seasons really screw up the property I hunt in Carroll County every year... the deer get pushed to a 80 acre refuge and daylight movement comes to a screaching hault. I'm sure I will get out there for muzzy and a few more times with my bow, but I won't be going with expectations of killing a buck... past experiences have taught me not to get my hopes up around there this time of year. I'll be burning up about 400 bucks on ice fishing gear this weekend, so if the weather stays cold I'll be dedicating a lot of time to that as well. Oh and of course goose season is in for a couple more weeks in the north zone so I'll have to hit the fields a few more times, too.

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
eBay. $137.95 a piece. (Retail $179.99) After reading all I could on Chasing Game and all the reviews on Cabelas/Bass Pro, it seemed like a no-brainer. I like the 35's pretty well, especially since I figured out they are a little picky on SD cards. (Run the San Disk 2GB's in them for best results.) Everything I have read indicates that Primos really nailed things with this Truth 60. I'm using the BEC's to do all the work as inventory cams. I want the 35's to be my "expendables" on properties I'm not sure about or set-ups at the farm that might be visible from property lines. I picked the 60's up to run in the core of the properties to monitoring trails. If I like them, I'll add 2-4 more before next fall.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Primos-TRUT...784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f5fd5160

Is it San Disk 2 GB specifically or is it any size San Disk? And why just out of curiosity?

moundhill

Supporting Member
Hebbardsville..
I'm still killess on the year :smiley_baby:
I blew a chance on a good buck, but other than that no good shots at shooter. Im going to take at least 2 late season does though, hopefully get them on camera. Stayin positive as i can be about this year.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm still trying to get one of my boys a shot at a decent buck. We've had the corn out with the camera but have only been getting a 4 point and two spikes.
Where have the shooters gone?!?!?
We were loaded with nice bucks early in the season. I'm puzzled.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Still deerless but just being patient and picky! Plan on muzzy hunting(the 4 days) and bowhunting a few times a week till end of season. Ain't gave up yet!